Space before symbols appears/disappears
Thread poster: Eylenn

Eylenn
Local time: 05:41
English to French
Dec 7, 2015

I enter a space before the % symbol in the first occurrence:
45+space+%
I confirm this. Trados indicates that it is propagating this to other charts, which it does.
It does not change 60%, i.e., it does not insert a space before %.
I enter a space before the % symbol in the second occurrence:
60+space+%
I confirm this. Trados indicates that it is propagating this to other charts, which it does, except that it now deletes the space I inserted in the previous segment! 45+space+% goes back to 45+nospace+%.

If I correct 45+nospace+% to make it 45+space+%, then 60+space+% becomes 60+nospace+%.

This happens with the percentage symbol, the degree symbol (in a table with temperature degrees).

It also happens, even more strangely, in a list where W is used as a unit (Width)

2.2W
2.4W
2.6W
etc.

If I make the first occurence
2,2+space+W and confirm this, it auto propagates. The next occurrence is not changed.
When I change 2.4W to 2,4+space+W and confirm it, it auto-propagates, the 2,2+space+W becomes 2,2+nospace+W.

For several reasons, locking segments is not very practical in this project. Plus, I'd really like to know what is going on and how I can stop this.

Thanks for suggestions.

Hélène Dion
Blainville, Québec

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 11:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also happens to me Dec 7, 2015

In Studio 2014, when autopropagating figures with the % and º (degree) symbol, and with "cm" and "m" (centimeters and meters).
I wonder if there is any solution to this?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Possible solution Dec 8, 2015

I have had the same problem, and discovered that the setting for Auto-substitution was that the space should be removed. Go to

File – Options – Language Pairs – (language combination) - Translation Memory and Automated Translation – Auto-substitution

Then choose the setting you want.

I had to add English-Norwegian, Swedish-Norwegian and Danish-Norwegian, after which I was able to choose the setting for Auto-substiution that I wanted.

I find it strange that these language combinations were not added at the time of installation, since I had to come up with 5 languages at the time.

Hope the above helps.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-12-08 11:11 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
@Roy Dec 8, 2015

Thanks Roy!
Indeed, there in the option you mention was the setting I needed to change.
Surely autopropagation will work correctly next time.

Eylenn
Local time: 05:41
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't change current project? (not sure about this) Dec 8, 2015

@Roy
I'm glad Lorenzo confirmed your solution. Alas, it seems that I can't change my current project settings. Auto-substitution can't be found and my understanding in what I found in HELP is that this has to be done at the beginning, when you set up the project. I'll be sure to give this a try, as it has stumped me for quite a long time. Many thanks!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
@Eylenn Dec 8, 2015

Hi Eylenn,
I just checked and you should be able to find the necessary setting in your current project also.
I have my UI in Spanish, but I'll try to guide you:
Project Settings > Language pairs > (Choose your language pair) > Click on Translation memories and automatic translation ON THE RIGHT PANE > DOUBLE CLICK Automatic substitution ON THE LEFT PANE > The setting expands to show "Dates and time" and "Measures" > Click on "Measures" and there is the setting you need to change.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Space before symbols appears/disappears

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search