Help with segmentation rules
Thread poster: germantrans2015

germantrans2015
United States
Dec 8, 2015

Hi,

Can someone please help me here? I have an Excel sheet with cells in which each segment ends with .' or !' or ?'.

What do I need to enter as a regex rule in Trados 2014 so that my source text gets segmented after each '?

Thanks so much for your help, dear colleagues!

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Default segmentation rule Dec 8, 2015

The default "Other terminating punctuation" segmentation rule segments after question and exclamation marks, so in that case you wouldn't need to do anything other than make sure you have all your default rules enabled.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is your current situation? Dec 9, 2015

germantrans2015 wrote:
Can someone please help me here? I have an Excel sheet with cells in which each segment ends with .' or !' or ?'. ... What do I need to enter as a regex rule in Trados 2014 so that my source text gets segmented after each '?

Sorry, but I have to ask this: have you opened the Excel file in Trados 2014, and how did Trados segment it? I ask this because Trados 2015 segments on those three characters without any special settings, even if there is more than one segment per cell.

germantrans2015
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2014 Dec 9, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

germantrans2015 wrote:
Can someone please help me here? I have an Excel sheet with cells in which each segment ends with .' or !' or ?'. ... What do I need to enter as a regex rule in Trados 2014 so that my source text gets segmented after each '?

Sorry, but I have to ask this: have you opened the Excel file in Trados 2014, and how did Trados segment it? I ask this because Trados 2015 segments on those three characters without any special settings, even if there is more than one segment per cell.

Yes, the source text is in Excel format, and I am still using Trados 2014.

The way it gets broken up is after a period. A cell usually contains several sentences and the last one ends with .' or !' or ?'

germantrans2015
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Default rules are all enabled. Dec 9, 2015

Nora Diaz wrote:

The default "Other terminating punctuation" segmentation rule segments after question and exclamation marks, so in that case you wouldn't need to do anything other than make sure you have all your default rules enabled.

I have all default rules enabled.

Here is an example. The content of one Excel cell:

Blabla. Blablablabla. Blabla.'

Trados makes three segments out of this:
Blabla.
Blablablabla.
Blabla.'

What I need is:
Blabla. Blablablabla. Blabla.'

to get a 100% match from the TM.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So no segmentation after a period? Dec 9, 2015

So it looks like what you need is NOT to segment after a period. You could simply remove the Full stop rule from the default segmentation rules.

As a suggestion, I would create an empty TM just for this and remove the rule in that new TM, not in your regular TM. Then place that new TM with the modified segmentation rules at the top of your TM list, remove your file(s) from the project, add them back and prepare them again. This will cause the new TM with the removed full stop rule to be used in segmenting your file, while keeping your original TM segmentation rules intact.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with segmentation rules

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search