https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/295696-forgot_to_deactivate_previous_license.html

Forgot to deactivate previous license
Thread poster: Alexandra Wahl
Alexandra Wahl
Alexandra Wahl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:26
German to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2015

Hi all,
something really stupid happened to me - however, I guess I am not the first one
I worked with Trados Studio 2014 and just now upgraded to Studio 2015. I totally forgot to deactivate the old license before I installed the upgrade and now I have no idea how to activate the new license. The one that was generated in my account is not accepted in the "Activate" window and I guess it's because the old one is still
... See more
Hi all,
something really stupid happened to me - however, I guess I am not the first one
I worked with Trados Studio 2014 and just now upgraded to Studio 2015. I totally forgot to deactivate the old license before I installed the upgrade and now I have no idea how to activate the new license. The one that was generated in my account is not accepted in the "Activate" window and I guess it's because the old one is still active.
Any good ideas anyone?
Thanks a lot!
Alexandra
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:26
French to German
+ ...
You just need to process the upgrade in your customer account Dec 11, 2015

Alexandra

In your customer account, under "Licenses", you should see a big dark yellow banner saying something like "You have upgrades to process". If you click on it, the system will guide you through the upgrade procedure at the end of which you will receive the activation code for Studio 2015, which you can then use to activate your newly installed copy. The activation code for 2014 will disappear, but you can still use Studio 2014 n this PC as long as you don't return he license
... See more
Alexandra

In your customer account, under "Licenses", you should see a big dark yellow banner saying something like "You have upgrades to process". If you click on it, the system will guide you through the upgrade procedure at the end of which you will receive the activation code for Studio 2015, which you can then use to activate your newly installed copy. The activation code for 2014 will disappear, but you can still use Studio 2014 n this PC as long as you don't return he license.

Walter
Collapse

Alexandra Wahl
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not working... Dec 11, 2015

Thanks for trying to help, Walter!

I dod not find a process button in my account...

Unfortunately it says next to the licence key in my Trados account that the license is in use. I do not understand this, since I still only have a trial version running on my computer and the license key is not accepted, since it says it is in use.
I cannot re-install/activate Trados 2014 either, since it says that key is in use on another computer. Very weird and I am a bit in a
... See more
Thanks for trying to help, Walter!

I dod not find a process button in my account...

Unfortunately it says next to the licence key in my Trados account that the license is in use. I do not understand this, since I still only have a trial version running on my computer and the license key is not accepted, since it says it is in use.
I cannot re-install/activate Trados 2014 either, since it says that key is in use on another computer. Very weird and I am a bit in a bind right now, since I need the software to work. Do I really need to get a service plan just to get the software running?
Alexandra

[Bearbeitet am 2015-12-11 21:23 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Wahl
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
went to the source :-) Dec 11, 2015

Actually, I finally found a way to contact SDL and hopefully, they will be able to help me with this!
Thanks a lot!
Alexandra

Margherita Facchini
Margherita Facchini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How did you manage to contact SDL directly? Dec 29, 2015

Hi Alexandra,

I also have a problem with the deactivation of Studio 2014. I recently had a computer crash and I can not follow the procedure to deactivate my licence (in order to re-activate it on a new computer), because this procedure implies that I open the version of Studio that was active on my crashed computer (which is now impossible). I could not find a solution for this problem on the knowledge base.
I also could not find a way to contact SDL directly (I do not have
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

I also have a problem with the deactivation of Studio 2014. I recently had a computer crash and I can not follow the procedure to deactivate my licence (in order to re-activate it on a new computer), because this procedure implies that I open the version of Studio that was active on my crashed computer (which is now impossible). I could not find a solution for this problem on the knowledge base.
I also could not find a way to contact SDL directly (I do not have a support licence).
How did you manage to do this? This would help me solve a big issue... Thanks!
Collapse

Alexandra Wahl
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the solution Dec 29, 2015

Hi Margherita!

I am not re-posting the answer here, since I don't know whether that is OK. But you should have no problem finding the answer...

I asked the same question in the SDL Community (https://community.sdl.com/) on the board "Translation Productivity - Licensing and Installation"
My entry was made on December 11, it should be easy to find. Paul Filkin from SDL answered
... See more
Hi Margherita!

I am not re-posting the answer here, since I don't know whether that is OK. But you should have no problem finding the answer...

I asked the same question in the SDL Community (https://community.sdl.com/) on the board "Translation Productivity - Licensing and Installation"
My entry was made on December 11, it should be easy to find. Paul Filkin from SDL answered the question quickly, I followed the described steps to produce a ticket and my licence was re-set in my SDL account.
No service plan necessary!

Hope that works for you as well, I feel your pain

Happy New Year!
Alexandra
Collapse

Margherita Facchini
Margherita Facchini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Apparently I found a solution on the SDL community but it does not work for me.. Dec 29, 2015

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks. I just happened to see your query on the SDL community. I also saw some other posts. The one that answers my case is probably this one:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=5196#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5196

However I am in doubt that this won't work for me considering the following note at the bottom:
"NOTE: If yo
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

Thanks. I just happened to see your query on the SDL community. I also saw some other posts. The one that answers my case is probably this one:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=5196#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5196

However I am in doubt that this won't work for me considering the following note at the bottom:
"NOTE: If you have an SDL Trados Studio Freelance Plus license (...). When you force return your Plus license, the SDL licensing administration system sees the installation ID of that particular machine and will only make that one available again for use; it does not affect the activation on the other machine."

I have the Plus license (and this means that I will need to install the 2nd license on my new pc, because otherwise the Self-Service option will not appear) but, once I force the deactivation process, the license that will be deactivated will be precisely the one on the pc I use, ie. on my new pc, not the old (crashed) one..
This instruction is not meant for people who had a computer crash...
I will see if I can find some other solution or I will post a query on the SDL community...

Have a fantastic new year!
Collapse

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:26
Force Return option Dec 30, 2015

Hi Margherita,

The Force Return option can only be used when both activations are in use.

If you need to return the second activation and you do not have access to relevant PC.
You could always log a support request and our Support Team will reset the license for you.

To log a free licensing and installation support request-
-please follows these instructions carefully

Even if you do not have a Support Contract with SDL,
we
... See more
Hi Margherita,

The Force Return option can only be used when both activations are in use.

If you need to return the second activation and you do not have access to relevant PC.
You could always log a support request and our Support Team will reset the license for you.

To log a free licensing and installation support request-
-please follows these instructions carefully

Even if you do not have a Support Contract with SDL,
we are able to offer you Installation and Licensing support free of charge via the Solution Finder http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:SFTab:crumb:0

Now choose the category your request falls under (e.g.)

Licensing Problems…
I use SDL Trados Studio....
License reset…..
I have a single user….. and so on.

A web form will open on the right side (pop ups and cookies MUST be allowed) where you can log your request.

Please note
1) If your browser does not allow the page to open- please switch to a different browser
2) Please do NOT send (any) support requests via any of the contact forms as this will not be forwarded to support and cause unnecessary delays!!!

Hope this helps.

SDL_Roman
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forgot to deactivate previous license

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »