How to import two column (source and target) word file in SDL?
Thread poster: Akhil Kumar

Akhil Kumar
India
Local time: 19:34
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Dec 11, 2015

Hi friends,

I have a query. Usually client provide us with a word file which is exported from SDL and contains both source and target. I want to import the file into SDL but when I try SDL imports both the columns as Source segment. I want source column in source segment and target columns in target segment so that I can proceed with translation. Is it possible? If yes, how can I do that?

Thanks,
Akhil

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
German to Polish
+ ...
Just Dec 11, 2015

select and hide the source column (Ctrl+Shift+H) and translate the target column. Afterwards unhide the source column (Ctrl+Shift+H).
That's all.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You would need the SDLXLIFF Dec 11, 2015

The best thing would be to either get the original Word file or the SDLXLIFF from your client. What you are describing sounds like a file that has been exported for external review, whose purpose is to be reviewed outside of Studio, then imported back into Studio, not to be used as translatable document.

If you must absolutely use the exported file, though, open the file in Word and select the source column, then Ctrl+Shift+H to hide the content of that column, save the file and then open it in Studio. When you're done translating, save your target file, open it in Word, select all with Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Shift+H again (sometimes twice) to unhide everything.

[Edited at 2015-12-11 16:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-11 17:45 GMT]

Akhil Kumar
India
English to Panjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please elaborate Dec 11, 2015

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

select and hide the source column (Ctrl+Shift+H) and translate the target column. Afterwards unhide the source column (Ctrl+Shift+H).
That's all.

Hi Andrzej,

Thanks for help! But I couldn't understand you point, can you please elaborate?

Akhil Kumar
India
English to Panjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Select all rows of target segment in SDL Dec 11, 2015

Is it not possible to select all the rows of target segment in Trados as we do in word or excel so that I can paste all the rows of a column(already translated) in target segment of Trados? or is it somehow possible to paste whole column from word or excel file in target segment of Trados? When I tried text of all the rows pasted into one row of target segment of Trados.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not posible to paste several rows separately at once Dec 11, 2015

That can't be done for several rows at a time, you would need to do it one by one, but if your translation memory is being updated as you translate, those segments can be populated as 100% matches automatically by Studio.

[Edited at 2015-12-11 17:47 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Word, not in Studio Dec 11, 2015

Akhil Kumar wrote:

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

That's all.

Hi Andrzej,

Thanks for help! But I couldn't understand you point, can you please elaborate?

Andrzej's suggestion is to modify the file in Word before you open it in Studio. So the procedure explained above needs to be done in Word. You do the first part, hiding the source column, then save the Word file and open that file in Studio. After translation you save your target, open it in Word, and then unhide as explained above.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import two column (source and target) word file in SDL?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search