Thread poster: ElinFritiofsson

ElinFritiofsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:02
French to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2015

Hi!

I have a new computer with Windows 10 and the new skylake processors (6th generation) with integrated Intel HD Graphics 520. Every time I run Studio 2015 my graphics driver crashes and the screen goes black (over an over again!). I first thought that this was a problem caused by my computer hardware but the same thing has happened on two different laptops now from different manufacturers. And it only happens when I'm editing segments in Studio. I have updated the graphics drivers so nothing is outdated.

Intel says that these kinds of bugs probably have to be fixed by the software that causes the crash, in this case Studio 2015. Does anyone know if Studio 2015 has an incompatibility issue with the latest Intel processor generation or with Windows 10? Or is it unable to handle certain high screen resolutions?

I don't feel like buying an older computer just to be able to run Studio, so I'm grateful for any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anders O.  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Compatability mode Dec 14, 2015

If you have had no issues running SDL on e.g. Windows 8, you could try to run it in compatability mode.

My only advice, I am sorry for not having any other suggestions!

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:02
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
graphics driver crash on Windows 10 Dec 14, 2015

Hi Elin,

Sorry top hear about the issues regarding this specific graphics card.

I have searched our database and so far cannot find any similar problems reported specifically in conjunction with Studio 2015.
However after a quick 'Google' search of 'Intel 520 graphics card problems' this issue seems to be quite prevalent for a number of combined Intel and (possibly) browser (Edge) users.
If none of the solution in the forums provide a solution (? witching to Chrome)-
Please feel free to log a support ticket via your SDL account/Support

-Download and Licensing Problems...
-I use SDL Trados Studio 2015....
-The installation went fine, but now....
-The problem occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011/2014/2015...
-None of the articles resolved my problem...

You will now see a popup support ticket window (if not you will need to use a browser such as Chrome)
Once the ticket has been logged our support team will get back to as soon as possible.

Kr

Steve

Christin Dallmann  Identity Verified
English to German
exact same problem here Dec 14, 2015

I even now went down to the 5th generation intel processor (the 5500 graphic) and still get the same problem and exclusively with Trados open.

Any new developments on this front? I hve changed to new computers already thrice so changing computers is not an option anymore.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Finnish to French
No problem with HD5000 under Windows 7 Dec 14, 2015

Christin Dallmann wrote:
I even now went down to the 5th generation intel processor (the 5500 graphic) and still get the same problem and exclusively with Trados open.

FWIW, my laptop also happens to have an Intel HD Graphics 5500, and Studio 2015 doesn’t cause it to crash. Here is the driver I’m using:

I’m running Windows 7, btw (and intend to keep it).

Sweden
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help with support ticket Dec 15, 2015

Hi!

I already use Chrome and Firefox and I have tried all the compatibility modes. I had 6 graphics driver crashes in 5 minutes before while editing Studio segments, and nothing ever happens when I'm using the web browsers, so it seems clear to me that Studio is behind all this (or incompatibility intel driver - studio).

Steve, could you please explain more in detail how I log a support ticket? I see the pop-up window but when I click on "Log a ticket" I'm just redirected to my account start page (I'm using Chrome).

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:02
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Help with support ticket Dec 16, 2015

Hi Elin,

If you are having difficulties logging a case please ensure you are allowing POPUPS- otherwise you will not be able to complete the process.
I have just tried Chrome and FF and neither seems to cause any issues in the support portal.
Should you still have issues- please check your admin rights and settings.
You may also use the following link-

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:SFTab:crumb:0 and then follow the instructions as per below.

I'm currently asking about at the moment as I honestly have been unable to find anyone else with a similar issue- After all Studio needs a fair amount of RAM- but suffices with the most basic of graphic cards.

Kr
SDL_Steve

Frank Eisenhuth
Canada
Local time: 09:02
English to German
+ ...
I think I found a solution to your problem Dec 17, 2015

Hi Elin,
I had the same problem as you; bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro, then installed Trados Studio 2015 on it, and the moment I started translating documents, the message "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" appeared. I was still able to work in Trados Studio, but the intermittent interruptions by the crashed display driver got increasingly annoying. The usual stuff (uninstalling and re-installing display drivers, changing the display driver dely times etc.) did not cure the problem, so it was obvious it must be a problem with Trados Studio since it did not occur with other applications.
Now yesterday I got a larger project for proofreading, so I started to proofread in Trados Studio for the whole day, and to my surprise the display driver was fine, the problem did not occur throughout the day. So I started thinking - what could possibly be the difference of running Studio in translation mode ("Open for translation" option) and proofread mode ("Open files for review"), and my thought was - the Autosuggest providers; the do not run when you proofread a file. You can see them under File - Options - Autosuggest - AutoText. By default, all four of them (Termbases, Autosuggest Dictionaries, Translation Memory and Automated Translation, AutoText) are enabled. Now today for my workday, I disabled all except "Termbases" and - lo and behold - I had no display driver crash problem for the entire day.
I haven't had the time to see exactly which provider causes the problem, this is probably for the folks at SDL to figure out. I suspect either the AutoSuggest or Translation Memory and Automated Translation provider in some way interrupt some routine of the display driver. So try this temporary fix, and everything should be fine for the moment.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Frank

Sweden
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try it out Dec 17, 2015

Hi Frank!

Good idea, I'll try to disable AutoSuggest temporarily. I noticed that the crash only happens when I'm actually writing text in segments (never when I'm doing other things in Studio), so it makes sense.

I'm curious to see if it'll work for me tomorrow!

Regards,
Elin

Frank Eisenhuth
Canada
Local time: 09:02
English to German
+ ...
Problem still happening, but much less frequent Dec 18, 2015

Hi again Elin,
I got one display driver crash this morning, but it is happening less frequently (before it happened every 2-3 minutes or so). I now disabled the "Termbase" autosuggest provider (and in fact, the entire Autosuggest functionality) to see what effect this might have.
Frank

Tommy Lund
Norway
English to Norwegian
Exact same problem Mar 15, 2016

It is now 15 March 2016, and I have a brand new computer with the latest drivers, and this keeps happening. This is definitely a Studio problem. I does not happen with any other software. I see that some of you are suggesting disabling the autosuggest feature. Well, that is only one of the most useful features of this software, so that seems a bit counterproductive. I am amazed that SDL does not seem to be doing anything about this problem. I have used Trados for 15 years now, and there has always been serious issues like this one. Instead of addressing these issues, they only seem interested in adding "cool" new features. I am seriously considering switching to a different CAT tool...

Tommy Lund
Norway
English to Norwegian
Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel Mar 15, 2016

I have now been testing a new beta driver for the latest Skylake processors since early this morning, and I still haven't had a crash (at least three hours of intensive work). Before it happened at least every half hour. I have not disabled any autosuggest functionality, so at least I am finally hopeful that this may actually solve the problem

Giovanni Danielli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:03
Member (2013)
English to Italian
Video driver crash with SDL2015 Jun 13, 2016

Hi I have many problems with SDL/4K-graphic of my Windows 10 laptop (Hp ENVY/I7).
1st problem is related do menu visualization (overlapping and cropping of menus text) - which SDL is aware of... hope they solve the issue in the next release.
2nd problem is video driver crash-and-restart, which occurs quite frequently when I use SDL with Chrome...
HP told me that my driver is updated.
I am a bit concerned: I am not able to continue to use SDL in future!

Zsuzsanna Vajdovics
Italy
Local time: 15:03
Member (2007)
Italian to Hungarian
+ ...
Brand new laptop (Asus Zenbook with Intel HD Graphics 520, Win. 10.) - driver crash Sep 17, 2016

Hi,

I report the same problem. Trados makes crashing the driver with black screen while translating (typing text or moving inside the segment with the arrows). Please don't say to disable termbase or autosuggest, there are the reasons I am using Trados. I just purchased 2015 upgrading my 2014 and waiting for 2017.

Thanks for helping.

TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
VM as workaround, report the crash to Intel via MS? Sep 19, 2016

Studio seems to be doing something specific that upsets Intel's code. It could be a bug in Studio causing it, but whatever Studio does, the Intel driver should never, ever respond by crashing, so this is at least partly a bug on Intel's side, which they should fix.

As a workaround, running Studio inside a virtual machine is free (if you have enough disk space and RAM): https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

(The desktop gets drawn inside that virtual machine using different graphics drivers, then copied over to the Intel hardware by the VM software, so hopefully whatever odd command is breaking the Intel driver gets bypassed.)

Also make sure you're reporting the driver crashes to Microsoft - open "Security and Maintenance" in Control Panel, then hit "Check for solutions" under "Check for solutions to problem reports". This sends the details of what went wrong to Microsoft, who then pass it back to Intel for diagnosis and fixing.

Have you read this page of Intel's about similar issues? (In particular the tip about trying the hardware manufacturer's own drivers instead of Intel's - or, if you're using those already, try Intel's set instead.) https://communities.intel.com/thread/78498

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 making the graphics driver crash on Windows 10

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search