https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/295861-erroneous_tag_errors_in_studio_2015.html

Erroneous tag errors in Studio 2015
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
German to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2015

I'm seeing this quite often at the moment. I am getting an error in Studio telling me that a tag is missing although it clearly isn't. When this error appears, I also get no results in the translation memory window. So what is going on? And how can I stop it?

Has anyone got any idea what is happening here?

My main concern is that Studio sometimes refus
... See more
I'm seeing this quite often at the moment. I am getting an error in Studio telling me that a tag is missing although it clearly isn't. When this error appears, I also get no results in the translation memory window. So what is going on? And how can I stop it?

Has anyone got any idea what is happening here?

My main concern is that Studio sometimes refused to create the output file if there is a tag error. This happened a couple of days ago with a PPTX file. The file in the example here is an IDML file.
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 20:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
plugins? Dec 16, 2015

This popup message generally appears when there is a tag error in the result from a TM/MT plugin. It doesn't necessarily mean that the structure of the text contained in the document is bad (that would be indicated on a QA verification but wouldn't launch a popup warning like this).

Are you using any translation provider plugins? Also, how was the example target text populated? The reason I ask is that I've seen this error from time to time, but in every case the target box never
... See more
This popup message generally appears when there is a tag error in the result from a TM/MT plugin. It doesn't necessarily mean that the structure of the text contained in the document is bad (that would be indicated on a QA verification but wouldn't launch a popup warning like this).

Are you using any translation provider plugins? Also, how was the example target text populated? The reason I ask is that I've seen this error from time to time, but in every case the target box never gets pre-populated with the result.

In your example, I see that the source and target text are the same. Was this pre-populated with the source before you navigated to the target in your example? If so, what happens when you navigate to a blank target segment? (or try clearing the one with the error).

My guess would be that you are using some kind of plugin, and there is a bug/malfunction in the code of the plugin that is causing an error, possibly only intermittently and with certain kinds of texts/environments. If so, then I would contact the plugin developer.
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details... Dec 16, 2015

In my screenshot, I have just copied the source from the original to make sure all the tags are actually there before manually translating the text.

The pop-up often comes when I move the cursor to the affected segment (i.e. confirm the previous segment), in which case I go for the safe option and copy everything across and translate around the tags, just to be safe. Even after I confirm these segments and then move the cursor back up into the affected segment the pop-up appears.... See more
In my screenshot, I have just copied the source from the original to make sure all the tags are actually there before manually translating the text.

The pop-up often comes when I move the cursor to the affected segment (i.e. confirm the previous segment), in which case I go for the safe option and copy everything across and translate around the tags, just to be safe. Even after I confirm these segments and then move the cursor back up into the affected segment the pop-up appears.

Sometimes, I delete the affected tags and re-insert them manually. And sometimes that does the trick.

It could be, as you suggest, an error with the MyMemory plugin (which I can easily switch off). But it's still strange.

[Edited at 2015-12-16 19:06 GMT]
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 20:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
probably the plugin Dec 17, 2015

It sounds like the plugin is causing the error, in which case you need not go to all the trouble of deleting/copying/restoring the tags in the segment. I see this message myself from time to time when debugging plugins or experimenting with new functionalities (I also do plugin development) and it is merely indicating that an error occurred with one of the translation providers.

The message does not necessarily mean that the tags that currently exist in the target segment are bad
... See more
It sounds like the plugin is causing the error, in which case you need not go to all the trouble of deleting/copying/restoring the tags in the segment. I see this message myself from time to time when debugging plugins or experimenting with new functionalities (I also do plugin development) and it is merely indicating that an error occurred with one of the translation providers.

The message does not necessarily mean that the tags that currently exist in the target segment are bad. You would only get that reported to you in a QA check or as a warning message in the warning tab of the translation results pane (not in a popup like this).

That's why it appears when navigating to a different segment, i.e., you move to a different segment, either with the arrow keys or by confirming, and then the change to the new segment triggers a call to the translation provider plugin. Then the message appears because the segment returned by the plugin to Trados has some kind of error in the tags it sent. This shouldn't affect the current target segment, though, because there is no auto-population of the result in this case, because Trados cannot process the return segment from the plugin. Also keep in mind that when a segment is already in draft or translated status it doesn't get automatically populated with the results from translation providers (TMs and plugins).

So, you can probably just ignore the message and keep translating. You can also temporarily disable the plugin and test to see if the error still occurs. In some circumstances, an unhandled error like this ends up crashing the whole Trados program, but that seems to be rare in my experience.

Another thing you might want to do is select the Trados option to verify each segment after confirmation (Options>Editor>Automation>Enable verification of segment[checkbox]), and also make sure to select all tag options in the verification settings of the project (verification>tag verifier>common). That way you will see immediately if there are any tag errors in the target segment upon confirmation. My guess is that the appearance of the popup about the tag mismatch will have no correlation to the existence of actual errors in the target segment.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2015-12-17 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Erroneous tag errors in Studio 2015

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »