Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:40
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2015

Dear all,

I translated a fairly big and complex Excel file in Studio.

Quality check and conversion back to Excel went fine

However, when attempting to open the translation, Excel claimed at first that the file contained unreadable content and suggested to fix it. To no avail. The next message was that the file was damaged and could not be read.

Extra info:
1 - prior to translation I had to hide some lines and columns.
2 - the content of the excel file is rather complex, probably containing macros
3 - I checked the presence of "&" that might cause troubles in tab names: no problem here.
4 - I replaced tab names by the original name (a new trial in Trados 2007 showed that the sheet name uses imported data from an external source and therefore can not be changed)

Question:
would someone have a clue as to what could cause the sheet to be damaged in the process?

as for the moment, I am clueless and can't deliver the equivalent of 2 weeks work...

Thank you for your time

Pascale

Mikhail Popov
Singapore
Local time: 02:40
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Check Dec 17, 2015

Make a copy of your ORIGINAL Excel file under another name. Import it into Trados. Copy source to target and confirm, then export it. Then try to open. If the problem will be the same, than the reason are macros and complex layout.
If problem will dissapear - then probably mismatch of tags in Original and Translated segments.

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
copy source to target? Dec 17, 2015

Thanks for your suggestion Mikhail,
I'll try that

Do you happen to know how I can copy all of the source in the target in one go?
There are about 2.000 segments and copying them one by one is not an option.

I searched for it while creating the project but couldn't not find this option.

Pascale

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:40
" Copy all segments to Target" Dec 17, 2015

Hi Pascale,

To copy all source segments to the target, please do the following:

Open the Studio in the Editor view and select "Copy all segments to Target" in the right top corner of the navigation bar. Alternatively you can press (Alt +Shift+Ins)

Kind Regards,

SDL_Roman

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
did not work Dec 17, 2015

I just copied the bits that might cause troubles:

worksheets
header and footers
worksheetnames

and generated a translation with "save target as"

It al went fine but

I got exact the same error message as previously when trying to open the Excel file.

it contains corrupt content and cannot be fixed

So I tend to believe that there is something wrong with the document from start

Pascale

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it is XLSM file, with plenty of macros Dec 17, 2015

I made a mistake when posting my question and did not see it until now

Sorry about that...

Pascale

Mikhail Popov
Singapore
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Copy Dec 18, 2015

If this is XLSM file, then you have to open original document and make a New, empty XLSX document with the same number of sheets. Then just copy each sheet one by one into the new document. In the new document you should select INSERT VALUES. If you want new document to look like an original document, then make insert 3 times: INSERT VALUES, INSERT COLUMN WIDTH and INSERT FORMATTING.

Load new document to Trados, pretranslate it, confirm all segments. Then export and try to open. If it will work, then you should just copy translation back to original XLSM file. And choose INSERT VALUES only (one per every sheet).

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 18, 2015

Thank you for you suggestion and your time Mikhail,

I wil definitely keep your suggestion for further help as I managed in the mean time to find a workaround. I am not sure yet though about what caused the problem

I had renamed the original files and hid what had to be hidden before translating.

This morning I started again with the original files and processed them whithout trouble in Studio. I only had to make sure not to process what had to be left untranslated and was now visible.

Thank you again for your help and have a nice weekend and Christmas time on your beautiful Island.

Pascale

Mikhail Popov
Singapore
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Welcome Dec 26, 2015

CAT software usually can't process "extra" data from Excel files if macros are concerned. It can cause all kind of glitches. So any way to stop them from getting inside Trados or other CAT software is a good idea.

Have a good holiday in a nice and cool weather, while I'm "melting" at this wonderful island ))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLSX file damaged and unreadable after translation with Studio 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search