Problem when alligning Excel files (cell to cell).
Thread poster: Ignacio Costa

Ignacio Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:16
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 22, 2015

Hello guys,

Another quick question to the experts! =)

I have such a big file to align. It's in Excel and I already have source and target, side by side.

I just tried to copy the target to another file (with exactly the same number of rows) as I normally do in these cases.

However, at some point the alignment gets totally messed. It has, apparently, no reason for that (the files, as I said, are exactly with the same number of lines, and the target corresponds to the source in every cell).

So, two questions:

1- Would you guys have any idea about what is happening? (i.e., how could I leave this file in a way that it could be automatically aligned with no problems).

2- Is there any way I could simply ask Trados to align all the segments 1 to 1? I know the alignment has the "Connect n:n" option, but then I have to select in the check boxes string by string, and there are thousands of them!

Many thanks guys!

Regards,

Ignacio

Direct link Reply with quote

Dmitry Pakidov
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:16
As an option… Dec 23, 2015

…you can use TMbuilder, which allows to create TMX files out of two-column XLS files, forgoing the need for alignment altogether.

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 23, 2015

Thank you Dmitri!

It seems the tool solved my problem!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:16
French to German
+ ...
You don't need to align this kind of files Dec 25, 2015

igaapp wrote:

Hello guys,

I have such a big file to align. It's in Excel and I already have source and target, side by side.

ignacio

If your Excel file contains source and target already in an "aligned" arrangement as you say, there is no need to do an align to get this into Studio.

The easiest way is to open the file using the filetype "Bilingual Excel", tell Studio which column is the source and which one is the target. You will then get both columns in the Editor and can then make corrections if necessary and update your TM by finalising the project.

Very easy, no alignment process needed for this.

Walter

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 25, 2015

Thanks Walter.

Very helpful hint!

Kind regards,

Ignacio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when alligning Excel files (cell to cell).

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search