Problem saving a Trados project as a Word document - need urgent help.
Thread poster: BetterTimes

BetterTimes
Saudi Arabia
Arabic to English
Jan 3, 2016

Hello all,

I have a problem saving a Trados project as a Word document
the project includes over 1500 segments, whenever I try to save it as Word Document
I get this message:

failed to save target content: missing tag

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Have you tried tag verification? Jan 3, 2016

If you have not done so, 'verify' the translation (click on F8).

This may show up hundreds of false errors, so it is not always helpful if the settings are not customised to your specific situation.
Run your eye down the list if it is not too long, and you may find the segment with the missing tag flagged.

Click twice on the error message, and a dialog box opens, where you can edit the segment and add the missing tag.

Alternatively, try Tag Verifier
You can either find and edit the segment with the missing tag, or de-activate the tag verifier, and then you should be able to print in spite of the tag error. (It may be a false error, for instance if you have omitted a non-breaking space or something like that, simply because your languages and scripts are different.)

Press F1 for Help, search for Tags, and select Tag Verifier.
(You then see the following, with formatting and links active)

I hope it helps.

Verifying Tags
Use the Tag Verification settings to ensure that tags in the translated document match those in the source document. This can check for example that no tags have been deleted or moved.

Opening the Tag Verifier page
If you want to edit the Tag Verifier settings for your active project, click Project Settings > Verification > Tag Verifier > Common.
If you want to edit the Tag Verifier settings for future projects, click File > Options > Verification > Tag Verifier > Common.

Disabling Tag Verifier
Tag verification is enabled by default to ensure that SDL Trados Studio always checks for tag issues. To disable Tag Verification, uncheck all the options under the Check for section.

Check for settings
You can ask Studio to check whether:

- your target document contains more tags than the source document
- your target document contains less tags than the source document
- the order of the tags in the target document differs from the order of the tags in the source document
- there are ghost tags in the target document because you have deleted parts of a tag
- the spacing around tags has changed in the target document

By default, for each enabled verification, Studio raises an error notification if there are issues when you verify the target document. Change the Error drop-down menu if you want to change the severity of the notification to a note or a warning.

Ignore settings
Option
Description

Ignore formatting tags This option is enabled by default so that Studio does not check if the formatting tags in the source document correspond to the formatting tags in the target document.

Standard formatting tags include bold, italic and font type.

Ignore locked segments Enable this option if you do not want Studio to perform tag check inside locked segments.

Ignore differences between normal and non-breaking space Enable this option if you want Studio to treat spaces and non-breaking spaces as identical when checking the space around tags.

BetterTimes
Saudi Arabia
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Following you're instructions Christine Jan 4, 2016

Thank you Christine, I am going to follow you're instructions, coming back soon .

BetterTimes
Saudi Arabia
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 4, 2016

Thanks Christine, I ran verification which listed plenty of errors
so I had to transfer 60 tags from source to target .

You've been of great help .

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
So glad it helped! Jan 4, 2016

I know the tag error message can be enormously frustrating, and there is no way of guessing what to do!

A colleague showed me the solution, and I have made use of it several times.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem saving a Trados project as a Word document - need urgent help.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search