Translation of PDF files
Thread poster: Gabriele Demuth

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:39
Member (2014)
English to German
Jan 5, 2016

I would be interested whether you generally load PDF files onto Trados in order to translate them. I have always converted them beforehand as on one occasion a very complex PDF didn't convert well.

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:39
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Always convert with Abbyy first Jan 5, 2016

I don't trust that the in built pdf converter works better than a stand alone OCR program like Abbyy or Omnipage, so I always convert it to Word first to make certain that what I want translated, is editable, while garbage is removed.

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Jan 5, 2016

Thanks Roy, I never dared to use the Trados conversion as there is always some kind of deadline looming and I don't want to waste time in case it doesn't produce good results after translation.

I was just wondering if other people were using it routinely with good results?

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, you can... Jan 5, 2016

... just type the translation in Word.

[Edited at 2016-01-05 20:15 GMT]

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Would depend on what type of document you have Jan 5, 2016

If the document is of technical nature, I would still do the translation in a CAT tool to get the benefit of it, rather than typing the translation in Word. Even if it doesn't give too much gain, I am so used to the tools in Studio and Dejavu that I do most all my translations there. So I find it helpful to convert a pdf document before I start translating.

One other benefit is also that it is easier to check that everything is being translated, and that I have not skipped anything.

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jan 5, 2016

I usually convert with Adobe and then load onto Trados, but as it seems loading the pdf straight onto Trados is not that reliable.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:39
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Manual processing Jan 6, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I usually convert with Adobe and then load onto Trados, but as it seems loading the pdf straight onto Trados is not that reliable.

For my Trados, manual processing of PDF - Word file is better to eliminate layout difficulty etc. I find that paragraph is complex in PDF convert, Abbys or OCR software since the program is too smart to know my simple requirement: natural text flows.

Soonthon L.

Alxgor  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:39
English to Russian
+ ...
OCR software + manual recheck Jan 6, 2016

I nearly always OCR the pdf file with FineReader with manual recheck of how the software has done it. The time is not wasted, it's worth it.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can also use the integrated converter in two steps Jan 6, 2016

Hi all

Let me add something to the advices that have already been given and point out that one can use Soiid PDF Converter (that is the one inbuilt not Studio) in the same way as one of he mentioned external tools (Abby PDF Transformer, Nuance PDF Converter, etc.).

First, you can configure the way the converter works by changing the options under "Filetypes" and second and most important, you can save the resulting Word document before starting translation, so that you can fix all formatting issues by cleaning up the Word document before you start translation.
Very often people do not realise they can do this because after opening the PDF in Studio, they see the document in the Editor (as a SDLXLIFF) and think they can't change the formatting. But there is a simple workaround: save the source version of the document that is open in your Editor using the command "File - Advanced Save - Save Source As" in a folder of your choice with a name of your choice. Then open this document in Word and fix all the problematic formatting (remember there are special tools for this such as "TransTools Suite" or "Code Zapper"). Once the document has been cleaned, save it again and then open this WORD document in Word instead of the one that you initially got from the PDF.

Walter

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nitro Pro for machine-readable PDFs? Jan 12, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:
I would be interested whether you generally load PDF files onto Trados in order to translate them. I have always converted them beforehand as on one occasion a very complex PDF didn't convert well.

I'm commenting on this thread because just yesterday I had a Japanese PDF that I would normally read straight into Studio 2014. I needed to preserve the formatting, which was complex, but the file was machine-readable.

It didn't need OCR and at first glance the imported text looked fine. (If it had needed OCR I would have used Nuance's Omnipage, as usual.)

When I looked more closely at the source text in Studio after importing the file, and at the intermediate Word file that Studio creates during the import process, I found that during the import process some of the Japanese characters had been corrupted.

It seemed like some kind of mojibake or possibly a font embedding issue. In percentage terms the number of messed-up characters was very small, but still it ran to dozens of occurrences.

I tried conversion from PDF to Word with a number of packages including Word 2013 (which didn't corrupt the characters but which failed to read in the labels in the many charts), a trial of the full and very expensive version of Adobe Acrobat DC (which, surprisingly, resulted in the same corrupted character problem as Studio 2014) and the trial versions of several other packages.

The only software package that avoided the corrupted character issue and also correctly caught and converted and preserved the labels in the charts was a trial version of Nitro Pro. While I'd heard positive things about Nitro over the years this was the first time I had used it.

I suspect that although Nitro excelled this time, it may not work as well on other files with different characteristics, but having this tool in my toolbox would certainly help. At some point I will pay for a full version, just to have it there.

It's not cheap, but as I spent a couple of hours messing around with the corrupted characters, it would have nearly paid for itself on this job alone.

Regards
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of PDF files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search