SDL Trados 2014 inserting typographical characters as Arabic in English target text
Thread poster: Daisy Waites

Daisy Waites  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:50
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2016

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2.
I mainly translate from German into English. When translating Word documents, I have noticed that typographical characters (en dash, curly apostrophe) are inserted as Arabic (Saudi Arabia) in the clean Word target document. I do not translate to or from Arabic.
This is initially hard to spot, but the symptoms are as follows:
- An error message saying that the target document contains Arabic which is not being proofed.
- The apostrophes or en dashes appear too large or misaligned with the rest of the target text.
- Occasionally the apostrophes or en dashes are actually in a larger font than the rest of the target text.
- If I select the typographical character on its own and then look in the language bar at the bottom right of the page, it says "Arabic (Saudi Arabia)".
It is even harder to fix once spotted: if I delete the Arabic character and rekey it, and it will be inserted as Arabic. I have only been able to solve the problem by copying into Notepad and then copying back into Word. That is not a solution for long documents.
So far, I have not been able to identify exactly when this problem is likely to occur. But I suspect it could be some kind of combination of:
- Source text being ripped/converted from a PDF
- Source text using a font that is not fully supported by MS Word
- Source text is MS Word (1997-2003)
I have experimented by 1) taking a Word document (1997-2003) where I had the above problem in the target text 2) saving it as a Word document (latest version) before opening in Studio and then translating. The problem did not occur.
Any explanations or tricks welcome.


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:50
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Right to left languages Jan 12, 2016

Daisy Waites wrote:

So far, I have not been able to identify exactly when this problem is likely to occur. But I suspect it could be some kind of combination of:
- Source text being ripped/converted from a PDF
- Source text using a font that is not fully supported by MS Word
- Source text is MS Word (1997-2003)


In another experience. I have many mails from Arabian and Israeli agencies. They mails as well as documents can be English but the format is in the right-to-left language set. The documents (e.g. MS Word files) annoy me so much since writing styles change from left-to-right into right-to-left one.
I avoid accepting jobs or contact from those agencies.

Soonthon L.


 

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:50
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Guess: converted from pdf with the Arabic characters Jan 12, 2016

Daisy Waites wrote:

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2.
I mainly translate from German into English. When translating Word documents, I have noticed that typographical characters (en dash, curly apostrophe) are inserted as Arabic (Saudi Arabia) in the clean Word target document. I do not translate to or from Arabic.
....
Any explanations or tricks welcome.


A solution might be to mark all the copy in the Word document, and change the language to the source language you are actually translating from. At least this would be worth a try.

Two other possibilities:

Search for the offending characters and change their language to your source language, before you import document into Studio. (I have not checked if the search function can do this automatically, but at least you could change the language manually.)

Copy all the text into a new document as Text only. I would not recommend this, except for simple documents, since it would take a lot of postprosessing otherwise.


 

Daisy Waites  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:50
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2014 inserting typographical characters as Arabic in English target text Jan 17, 2016

Thanks for your thoughts, Roy and Soonthon.

The offending characters are not actually present in the source text, or at least they are not always present in the source when the problem occurs. The typographical single quote (ALT+0146) is generally fairly rare in German.

I have had this problem with at least two different end clients, so I don't think it's specific to a particular end client's computer.

It could be a problem with my version of Windows (Office 2013) not fully supporting Windows 1997-2003 Word documents.

If you have this problem with SDL Trados, please post below and maybe someone at SDL will pick up on this unusual issue.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 inserting typographical characters as Arabic in English target text

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search