Translating PPTs in Studio 2014 SP2 throws the formatting
Thread poster: Conor Murphy

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:47
Member (2010)
German to English
Jan 12, 2016

Hi, I used to have this issue in previous versions of Trados. It's re-emerged again.

I translate the ppt/pptx file, but after converting it back into PowerPoint the formatting is also askew.

Take bulleted lists for example. The spacing between the lines is increased, resulting in text getting pushed down the page and overlapping with other elements that have not moved.

Or text inside shapes. The text has disappeared in some cases (might be hidden behind the shape).

Obviously some of these issues can be edited out, but how can I prevent it from happening.

I have only recently upgraded to 2014 (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), so perhaps there is something I've overlooked.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Unavoidable? Jan 12, 2016

Conor Murphy wrote:
Obviously some of these issues can be edited out, but how can I prevent it from happening.

I don't think it's anything you're doing. This minor differences seem to nearly always occur; I have always assumed it's due to differences in fonts, kerning, paragraph spacing and so on.

You'll probably find that the disappearing text is still there, but you may need to resize the shape, or bring it forward if it has been sent to the back of the stack of visble objects.

Hopefully somebody else will have a more constructive comment. I too would like to know more about controlling this aspect of Studio.

Regards
Dan

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:47
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Asian fonts Jan 12, 2016

Conor Murphy wrote:

I have only recently upgraded to 2014 (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), so perhaps there is something I've overlooked.

Power Point files use heavy graphic with fonts and translating requires formatting adjustment. I always do this when translating English into Asian fonts e.g. EN - TH pair.
The easiest way is opening each slide and use:

-) Ctrl + A to select all elements in the respective slide.
-) Ctrl + +/- (+ or - key on the main key board) and hit many time to enlarge or reduce all fonts.
And I use other shortcuts to reduce/enlarge line/paragraph space etc.

These shortcuts are similar to MS Word and save my time greatly.

Soonthon L.

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rule seems to be translate, convert back to PPT and look at the file through your fingers Jan 13, 2016

Thanks for the replies Dan and Soonthon.

Short-cuts for editing are useful and appreciated. The only problem is that with a looming deadline and anything up to 100 slides, the time just is not there.

I just noticed I asked about this issue in relation to SDL 2011 a couple of years back.

Has there really been no progress on this, SDL?

Anyone using memoQ, for example, have a better experience to relate?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating PPTs in Studio 2014 SP2 throws the formatting

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search