Technical continuity of SDL Trados 2011?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 23:53
English to French
Jan 17, 2016

Hi,

I am an owner of SDL Trados 2011 Freelance edition. The licence is permanent (well nothing is eternal but technically and according to the business terms)....

I wonder: with the rapid improvements in each Trados version , how long do you think I will be able to use TRADOS 2011 without having to upgrade to a more recent version? I don't plan on investing more money for a new TRADOS edition since I am very happy with my 2011 edition right now.

But maybe in 2 or 3 years I might decide to buy a new edition (upgrade plan from Trados 2011 to Trados 2018 if available?)

I need your input on this mattter.

Regards,

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:53
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Office 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I wonder: with the rapid improvements in each Trados version , how long do you think I will be able to use TRADOS 2011 without having to upgrade to a more recent version?

If you need to use or are asked to use Office/Word 2016 then you may have problems with Studio 2011 or indeed 2014. It seems that only Studio 2015 can handle the latest versions of Office 2016 files and that SDL will not be adding support to earlier versions of Studio.

I'm still on Studio 2014 and probably will upgrade this year. An upgrade to one of my main tools every couple of years seems reasonable. Now that the bugs in 2015 seem to be mostly ironed out I think I will benefit from things like AutoSuggest 2.0.

Regards
Dan

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Decadence of previous TRADOS editions vs new Trados editions Jan 17, 2016

Mr. Lucas,

Therefore you are implying that even if I have a lifelong Trados 2011 licence it will be useless in a few years because of the technological gap?

Users were able to use Windows XP until today (and even more). And I know of users stil running Word 2000 (yes it's true!)...

But for Trados the file compatibility advancements may not be good at all for owners of previous licences...

I understand Trados as a global firm tries to maximise its revenis by selling more licences and promoting the benefits of upgrading to newer versions of Trados, but this is to the expense of owners who don't necessarily have the means or willingness to buy a new Trados version every 2 years...

I don't even have SDL support and online tickets, which is basic for this type of highly complex application.

Regards,

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I would upgrade today... Jan 17, 2016

2015 is the first Trados that I actually rather like. Here is what I like compared to 2011 (and 2014):

- Autocorrect
- Autosuggest
- Multiterm without Java and with Quick Insert.

I don't know what the discount for upgrading from 2011 is, but you may still benefit from the end of year price, which is probably better than skipping to an even higher version in a year or two (to say nothing of the heartache of working in Trados 2011 in the meantime).

I think that there is a qualitative difference between the Trados versions up to 2014 and the 2015 version.

Also, I suppose that the cost of the upgrade is tax-deductible, which makes things easier.

Working with obsolete tools is unproductive and not fun and stretching this state until 2018 seems to me an inexplicable form of punishment.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2016-01-17 15:08 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It will not be useless but limited Jan 17, 2016

Therefore you are implying that even if I have a lifelong Trados 2011 licence it will be useless in a few years because of the technological gap?
Regards,

Alexandre

It will not be useless but it will lack all the new features which were released later. This means that depending on your needs, you may face some problems sooner or later.

Also, there is no support anymore from SDL for this version in case you have a problem. And you may face some compatibility problems, e.g. for Word 2016 as Dan pointed out.

The software industry evolves, which means that new versions of a product are released every one or two years, this is normal, not only for SDL, but also for all other software providers.

Nobody forces you to upgrade, but it is a fact that if you don't, you have the risk to end up with a piece of software that is not compatible anymore with your operating system and with other software with which you interact.

Walter

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Technical continuity of SDL Trados 2011? Jan 18, 2016

Hi Alexandre

The subject of compatibility (and how long one can use a specific version) is s often discussed and which always generates mixed responses.

The vast majority of our user-base expect that our software remains up to date to ensure compatibility with the latest Microsoft releases such as Windows 10/Office 2016 or third party application file types. Therefore you may find you cannot accept a specific project without time consuming and cost ineffective workarounds.
Therefore you can continue to use this software on the MS platforms (XP/VISTA/W7) it was designed/compatible for as long as you want.

I would however (from a purely professional users perspective) always move away from platforms such as XP/VISTA- which Microsoft no longer support (no new bug fixes/patches/CU's etc.) and are therefore highly venerable.

It is fair to say no one really knows how technology will evolve over the coming years-
therefore when asked- I would advise all professional translators to consider upgrading at least once every couple of releases- this way the technology gap always remains easily bridgeable and costs are kept to a minimum whilst keeping up to date with advances in technology.

An upgrade whilst still available is infinitely better value than needing to budget for a new license.
Upgrades (for 2011 versions) are currently still available -
but I doubt I will be able to say this next year!

I really suggest you give the 2015 trial version ago-
With the removal of Java (MT) and the addition of a lot of new features, I'm sure you will see the many benefits.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Future of CAT tools and IT industry exponential evolution? Jan 18, 2016

Hi,

I do understand that technological evolution requires upgrading to more recent software. However I think this is more global problem of the IT industry. The technological advances are so fast (exponential I might say) in every field that customers have to keep up more often and therefore buy more often.

Now there is one thing that doesn't go down: taxes and fixed costs.

Therefore the equation is simple: Hypothesis- revenue is stable from one year to another->technological evolution goes faster-> incures more spending for translators (Trados upgrade and other software expenses)-> less profits at the end of the cycle.

This is inevitable I guess, but the old times when one could keep a software running for 10 years is really over..Long gone Windows XP and others...How far will the industry go at that pace? Will we have to upgrade Trados every year or so in the future?

It would be better to offer montly registration, just like Office 2016! A cloud application rather than a traditional stand-alone package...This way translators would only "pay-per-use". Free users would still be able to read Trados files, but wouldn't be able to modify or save them...(fair enough?)

And I'm not even talking about IT hardware and planned obsolescence...

But as long as Trados files formats are compatible with Metatexis, Wordfast and other CAT tools (free or not), this is the most important...The ability to work with Trados files using another CAT tools is crucial.

(what about a new an open source TM format soon?)

Oups..I guess people at TRADOS won't like me very muchicon_smile.gif But hey! I'm just outlining new ideas...And I bought TRADOS, therefore...

regards,

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
CAT Tools and Cloud- The Future? Jan 19, 2016

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for the below comments- I would like to start a discussion with you in regards to one of your comments below but first I would like to reassure you that SDL have absolutely no intention of running a yearly release under any circumstances.
Historically when you look back over the history of Studio releases- new releases have been on a ca. 18-24 month cycle- in line with the IT industry as a whole.

What I wanted to really address is your comment regarding CLOUD based solutions and wanted to get your personal take on this.

I understand that in the world of IT- Cloud technology' is becoming very NOW and many IT companies are either offering cloud based solutions themselves or using them internally in this era of 24/7 connectivity.

-which led me to start thinking-....

If SDL were to release some type of 'cloud' version
-what functionality would you want/need require?
-How would you like to see the UI?
-How would cloud based technology impact your day to day working?
-Are there legal issues (NDA's etc.)
-Would you use the 'Cloud' as an extension to a locally installed Studio version or would you prefer just a standalone (cloud) application (knowing that full internet access is required at all time).
-What would you expect such a service to cost?
-
-
-
and and and

I know this is very early days and I cannot promise anything-
but your feedback DOES shape future technology and releases.

SDL_Steve

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Answers to Steve from SDL regarding Trados cloud based version Jan 19, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for the below comments- I would like to start a discussion with you in regards to one of your comments below but first I would like to reassure you that SDL have absolutely no intention of running a yearly release under any circumstances.
Historically when you look back over the history of Studio releases- new releases have been on a ca. 18-24 month cycle- in line with the IT industry as a whole.

What I wanted to really address is your comment regarding CLOUD based solutions and wanted to get your personal take on this.

I understand that in the world of IT- Cloud technology' is becoming very NOW and many IT companies are either offering cloud based solutions themselves or using them internally in this era of 24/7 connectivity.

-which led me to start thinking-....

-Are there legal issues (NDA's etc.)
-Would you use the 'Cloud' as an extension to a locally installed Studio version or would you prefer just a standalone (cloud) application (knowing that full internet access is required at all time).
-
-
-
and and and

I know this is very early days and I cannot promise anything-
but your feedback DOES shape future technology and releases.

SDL_Steve

Hi Steve,

Here are my answers:
----------------

Basically: - NUMBER ONE priority: online encryption and cloud security for hosted files.
- SDL must guarantee the utmost level of security for its customers using online applications
- SDL customers must trust SDL to offer confidentiality for all files and data upload on the SDL servers.
- Idea: In case of security failure, hacking of translators files on SDL public clouds-> SDL customer (translator) not liable to end customer (contract clause between SDL and SDL cloud customers)

- Lite UI interface. Lighter than stand-alone SDL Trados, but as complete in terms of functionalities. Graphically intuitive, fast loading times. Time-out sessions reasonable (automatic logoff customizable by customer) Java technology? Python? For use on mobile devices-> up to the latest Web norms. and user friendly (tablets, laptops, mobile phones).

-Ability to work from anywhere just with an Internet connection. No need to have Trados installed on hard disk.
- Ability to work in conjonction with Trados stand-alone package (sending file from HDD to Trados on-line directly for example)

-Are there legal issues (NDA's etc.)?

- Legal issue: cloud security and hosting security-> SDL responsible in case of hacking/breach of security/stealing of end customer data hosted on SDL cloud (not the translator).

- To compensate for transfer of liability to SDL-> SDL customers must install all security certificates, comply with security norms, etc.

- Of course NDA from SDL for cloud hosted files (whatever the content and source).

-Would you use the 'Cloud' as an extension to a locally installed Studio version or would you prefer just a standalone (cloud) application (knowing that full internet access is required at all time)?

Good question. I thought about it. The answer is to have both available and working one with another (as complementary tools). When using SDL stand-alone, SDL cloud disabled (to avoid security exposure and data duplication).
When using SDL online app, SDL Trados stand-alone can't be launched (for the same reasons).
The two systems must be self-contained-> meaning autonomous.

OR SDL Trados stand-alone as PRIMARY application and SDL Cloud app as extension (just like Firefox extensions/modules hightly customizable?)

Last point-> ability to use SDL Trados off-line very important. In case of travel to areas/countries wih bad Internet coverage or no coverage at all and hen when connection available synchronization of all data on all devices(like Google Drive..)

Talking of devices-> SDL Mobile App? On Android and iPhone?Windows Mobile OS?

What about SDL on Linux? More and more users using Linux nowadays...(but not a priority right now, mobile app is however).-> problem of security with mobile devices and connected objects complex.

I advise SDL to hire an IT consulting company to research this point and offer integrated solutions (or IT security consultants).

ROI for SDL enormous and more visibility online (though security and legal aspects more important and complex...)

- Monthly registration -> 3 plans : Basic, Premium, Gold Premium.

Respectively: 25 euros/months, 40 euros/month, and maybe 70 euros/month?

Limited functionalities with Basic, standard functionalities wuth Premium and all out Cloud and integrated functionalities for Gold Premium.

Starter edition available for low budgets with very limited functionalities (12 euros/month).

Free account : 0 euros/month: only functionality-> for trial and lecture of Trados files (no modification/save features).

Last word: the ability for a SDL Trados customer to use SDL online wherever, whenever and even years after (as long as the customer has an active membership of course).

No more problem of software obsolescence like Trados 2011 compared with Trados 2015 etc and file formats problems...

AND always offer a backup plan for local storage of the translator files/documents in case of Internet connection failure (on the local hard disk of customers)= synchronization.+ ability to download/export all files in one click to local hard drive of users in case.(encrypted).

------------------------------------
Well, that's a complete answer I guess!

I guess that' because I am in the IT field and I have business degreesicon_smile.gif

Hope this helps. And I do hope it will be implemented in 2016!

Right now I'm sticking with my Trados 2011 edition.

Regards,

-

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
One last remark... Jan 20, 2016

Therefore the equation is simple: Hypothesis- revenue is stable from one year to another->technological evolution goes faster-> incures more spending for translators (Trados upgrade and other software expenses)-> less profits at the end of the cycle.

Hi Alexandre,
Your equation is wrong.

Here is how it goes, briefly, assuming that your income is the same:

->technological evolution -> higher spending on new versions -> tax refunds + higher productivity -> same profits at the end of the cycle.

This does not factor in time wasted to resolve incompatibilities, poor performance and crashes.

Unless you use the software on an occasional basis, the expense will pay for itself pretty quickly.

icon_smile.gif
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical continuity of SDL Trados 2011?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search