Ignoring errors while saving ready file
Thread poster: maja21

maja21
Local time: 07:46
Serbian to English
Jan 19, 2016

Dear all,

As it was my 100th time freaking out with "Unable to save target file" due to this or that reason, after I finally solved the problem (which was to create a new project and import the translated units and then pray that it will work), I decided to write this post, and share my opinion. I would like Trados developers to give their input as well.

Trados is a very helpful tool, but the more advanced versions we purchase, the more problems we have. In my case, the problems which drive me crazy are the essential issues concerning the very purpose of Trados - translating and saving the target version. In my opinion, the number of posts where people cannot save their target is a sufficient red light that something has to be changed.

It would be really perfect if we, translators, always received perfectly formatted documents in Word, and I am sure Trados would work impeccably in such situation. Nevertheless, a vast majority of source documents are the result of several months of amendments inserted by various people, who tend to reformat the text as well, with or without tracked changes, or even OCR of some pdf documents.

When we accept all changes, the document looks OK, but then Trados steps in and everything falls apart. The document in Trados is full of purple tags, fields etc., which, if we skip, Trados will decide that it is not acceptable and it will not save the target. I have opened numerous documents through Trados, and gave up when I saw that the text has more purple squares than letters.

Is it possible to adjust Trados to reality, and at least allow "ignore" (it does exist, and I always hit "ignore" when it rejects to save the target, but it never helps), as most of the tags which Trados finds are completely unimportant and invisible in the text? Is it possible to let us, the translators, decide what we need and what we do not?

Thanks,

Maja

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 3

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try CodeZapper Jan 19, 2016

maja21 wrote:
When we accept all changes, the document looks OK, but then Trados steps in and everything falls apart. The document in Trados is full of purple tags, fields etc., which, if we skip, Trados will decide that it is not acceptable and it will not save the target.

If you are able to edit the DOC(X) file before opening it Trados, try cleaning up the document using something like CodeZapper (EUR 20):

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/189271-new_codezapper_version_is_available.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/233191-code_zapper_to_kill_codes_in_word_documents.html
http://www.asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

[Edited at 2016-01-19 10:21 GMT]

Like 12

maja21
Serbian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Jan 19, 2016

Thanx for the suggestion, I will certainly consider it.

Nevertheless, my point is that Trados should not require additional efforts which would prepare the text for it. It should "understand" the text the way it is, and let us decide what is important in terms of formatting, fields, footnotes etc.

M.

Like 10

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The problem does not lie with Studio Jan 19, 2016

@Maja

The way Studio is showing the tags is the way it was designed, unfortunately Studio does not have enough inbuilt intelligence to decide which tags are important and which are not. But that is what you are expecting it to do. The problem is the source file not Studio. It is the user's responsibility to give Studio an error free source file. You described yourself how some docx files come to be and how they have been corrupted over time, but there are many other reasons too. As Samuel suggested use some method of cleaning up your data, he said Code Zapper could help and I have heard the same from others as well. I have one client who sends me doc files and I can't open then at all in Studio in the form that they come. But doing a simple "open repair" solves my problem, perhaps you could try that.

An old computer adage comes to mind here "Rubbish in, rubbish out". I use a lot of other software and that too sometimes requires the data to be cleaned before it can be read in, or to give better initial results. It's your responsibility.

Ben

Like 17

maja21
Serbian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx, Ben Jan 19, 2016

I agree. Nevertheless, my point is that Trados should not work "ex catedra" but in real and actual circumstances.

Simply said, it was much easier in Trados 2006, which is the first version I used. Although it did crash sometimes, it never "saw" something that I did not see in the document. I could produce target much more easily.

In my 2014 version, for example, bold is sometimes simply bold in the source, and sometimes it has purple shapes reading "bold" before and after the particular word. In old Trados bold was - bold.

Do not get me wrong - I am the one who is a "victim" of poorly formatted texts, and I could write an essay about the situations where the deadline is tight (as always), but as I delete one numbered line everything changes, the indents and margins, numbers, fonts.... No doubt - that is the main problem. But, given the situation, I believe that Trados could at least allow "ignore" in case of bookmarks, fields and other tags if the translator does not find them important.

I do not expect Trados to solve the problems of poor formatting, quite contrary - I expect it to ignore them. If it allows me to translate and save the whole project, but again I cannot produce the target text, I think something should be changed...

M.

Like 18

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ignoring errors while saving ready file

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search