How should I best handle an Excel 2007 worksheet with 2 columns in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2016

How should I best handle an Excel 2007 worksheet with 2 columns in Studio 2014 where the first column is the source and the second is a partially translated target column?

Normally I just create a new column, copy and paste from the source to this new column and then hide the source column. This works fine to open in Studio and translate there. When finished, I unhide the columns and have both source and target columns displayed again.

But this method does not work now because some rows have already been translated in the target column (which is already there).

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:27
English to Russian
Lock the translated Jan 19, 2016

Why not just copy source to target and lock such segments?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I copied from source to target in Excel before opening in Studio Jan 19, 2016

I chose to copy the source text (untranslated text) to the right column where I had empty rows and rows with existing translations. And then opened in Studio. But I'm not sure I did the right thing after all, do I have to click and confirm each of the already translated segments?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 00:27
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Select and change segment status to translated Jan 19, 2016

I think what you want, is to select all the translated segments (you can select multiple segments in the leftmost column), right click to get a pop-up menu, and choose Change segment status > Translated.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
workaround Jan 19, 2016

Ok, maybe somebody will suggest a better solution. (I am not sure if 2014 can filter by target text.)
Until it happens, you can apply a filter in Excel to get all empty cells (without pre-populated translation) and hide the translated ones.

In Excel, before you copy source to target, press Ctrl+Shit+L.
Find your target column and click on the upside-down triangle button in its heading.
From drop-down menu, select 'Text filter' ... 'does not contain' ... type ? as a value, then OK.
You will get empty target rows only. Copy source to target for them and then disable the filter.
If you do not have the translated segments in your TM, you need to confirm them of course.

On the other hand, you can filter those pre-translated rows in the same manner (by selecting 'Does contain' and ?), save as a different file and open it in Studio to condirm all at once.
Then open the whole file and pretranslate it with 'Copy source to target' 'When no match found' (to find these options see http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/A-G/Batch_Processing/Batch_Processing___Pretranslate_Files.htm).

Russian Federation
English to Russian
Roy replied while I was writing Jan 19, 2016

His method is definitely better (if 'multiple' does not mean 'hundreds' for you).

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I aligned the two columns and imported to TM Jan 19, 2016

I tried Roy's suggestion now, was easy, just select multiple segments with shift and click, then change the status for these.

But I discovered that when I had hidden the source column in my Excel I get target language in both columns in Studio. So these already translated segments don't go into my TM I created. So I aligned the two columns and imported into a new TM.

So now it should be just to copy whole source column to target column, then hide all columns except the target (which now only contains source text) and finally pre-translate from TM.

[Edited at 2016-01-19 16:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-19 16:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-19 16:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I best handle an Excel 2007 worksheet with 2 columns in Studio 2014?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search