Alignment problem with periods
Thread poster: Eylenn

Eylenn
Local time: 08:42
English to French
Jan 21, 2016

I have two files correctly "aligned" in Word and Excel. By correctly "aligned", I mean that when, in Word, I format segments to be numbered, my English segment no. 249 is the same as my French segment no. 249, etc. My Excel files have the exact same number of cells.

The problem is that, when I prepare an alignment in Studio 2015, either both Word files or both Excel files, Studio separates segments that have periods, or even colons.

BEST PRACTICE NO. 1
becomes
BEST PRACTICE NO

But my RÈGLE DE L'ART N° 1
remains
RÈGLE DE L'ART N° 1

Max. Diameter
becomes
Max. Diameter

while
Diamètre maxi
remains
Diamètre maxi

This also happens in a different way, i.e.
VAN: 84" (2.1m) Max. Roll Diameter (in the English file)
becomes
VAN:
84" (2.1m) Max. Roll Diameter
while, in French,
FOURGON : diam. max. de rouleau de 84 po (2,1 m)
remains
FOURGON : diam. max. de rouleau de 84 po (2,1 m)

and therefore the numbers of the segments no longer correspond.

Clicking on English segment 224 shows a link to French segment 222, which is correct, French 222 IS the translation of English 224, but I'm troubled by the fact that the segment numbering is no longer parallel. By the time I get near the end of the alignment, English segment 772 shows correctly a link to French segment 744.

a) Is segment numbering important?
b) Can I correct this in Studio? If so, how? (I watched the Youtube alignment videos and I didn't see (or maybe missed?) the way to correct this problem.)

Many thanks.

Hélène Dion
Blainville

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 14:42
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
How are you importing the alignment? Jan 22, 2016

If you use Winalign or the inbuilt alignment tool in Studio, you are able to join source or target segments separately to correct for misalignments. I know Dejavu better than Studio in this regard, and here it is possible to create exceptions from normal segmentation rules, i.e. make "no." an exception for the normal segmentation. I am not quite certain how to do the same in Studio, I am afraid.

Perhaps if you search the Help on segmentation rules you will find the help you need.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:42
French to German
+ ...
Adjust the segmentation rules Jan 24, 2016

Hélène

The Alignment tool uses the segmentation rules of the TM that you assigned to the Alignment project (the first thing you select, usually a new separate TM that is meant to contain only he results of the alignment process).
If you don't want to it to segment at a colon, simply open the Settings of this TM and remove the "colon rule". You need to do this before you start the alignment!

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment problem with periods

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search