Hans Geluk  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:14
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 26, 2016

Dear all,
Recently I'm having a weird problem with some word documents (doesn't matter if they are doc or docx) in both Studio 2014 and 2015. See pic.

Any ideas? I can't convert the documents, it will still happen. The only 'solution' I've found so far is to convert them into plain text, translate them and then translate the original file with the context matches. It will render a correct file, but the process is a pain...
I have also deactivated all plug-ins but it still happens.

[Edited at 2016-01-26 10:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Try to use a different font Jan 26, 2016

Hans

Which font is being used in the segments you show?

Does this still happen if you change the font of the source document before importing it into Studio?

There is a known problem with some non-standard fonts, where Windows messes up the rendering in the way shown in your screenshot.

Walter

Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman Jan 26, 2016

Thanks a lot, Walter, that makes sense! I tried it and indeed, it's resolved when I change HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman to Calibri. You saved my day!

It is a shame though... If my PC has the font, why should Trados not just use it? And if it's a known issue, they should work on it!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The problem is identified Jan 28, 2016

Hans

The problem is known and this is the answer the SDL PM gave to a person who recently had the same problem:

Some fonts are not very compliant with Windows and this can cause such issues. Always good then to go to File - Options - Editor - Formatting display style - Show all tags but do not show formatting. This will then fall back on Arial as font. You can then use the other options on the formatting display style drop-down list to go back to formatted view at a later point.

You may also try to change this formatting option to see what happens in your case.

Walter

Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful tip! Jan 28, 2016

Hi Walter,

Yes, that hides the error! I will work with that setting for now, and I hope SDL will resolve this soon. In the end, other applications can work with those fonts, so why can't they...!

Thank you so much for being so supportive

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word doc letter soup in Studio 2014/2015

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search