Thread poster: silvia72

silvia72  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 30, 2016

Hallo!
I am having troubles with a bilingual pdf document composed of two columns: source and target Language. Only a few lines of the document need to be translated.
The Studio converter cannot recognize the difference and puts the two languages in the source Language column. I tried to translate the sdlxliff document anyway, but in the final target document the two languages were mixed.
The same occurred with the .doc document I imported in Studio, after having converted it using ABBYY.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you for your reply!
Silvia

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:23
English to Russian
Bad news Jan 30, 2016

Hi Silvia,
unfortunately there is no way to do what you expect.
You can ocr your pdf into two docx files (source column and target column each in an individual file) and then align them if you definitely need all text to import into TM.
If you don't need all text in TM, you can consider to extract untranslated cells (after ocring) and translate them.
For Studio's ocr, any pdf is just a picture. Where you see different/logically separated columns in different languages, ocr engine (not only in Studio) sees just vertical/horizontal lines and letters between them.

[Edited at 2016-01-30 20:37 GMT]

silvia72  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:23
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL trados studio 20015 + pdf bilingun files Jan 30, 2016

Thank You very much For your reply Stepan!
I think I'd better ask the customer to supply an editable version.
Anyway thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 + pdf bilingual documents

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search