Thread poster: silvia72

silvia72  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 30, 2016

Hallo!
I am having troubles with a bilingual pdf document composed of two columns: source and target Language. Only a few lines of the document need to be translated.
The Studio converter cannot recognize the difference and puts the two languages in the source Language column. I tried to translate the sdlxliff document anyway, but in the final target document the two languages were mixed.
The same occurred with the .doc document I imported in Studio, after having converted it using ABBYY.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you for your reply!
Silvia

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:46
English to Russian
Bad news Jan 30, 2016

Hi Silvia,
unfortunately there is no way to do what you expect.
You can ocr your pdf into two docx files (source column and target column each in an individual file) and then align them if you definitely need all text to import into TM.
If you don't need all text in TM, you can consider to extract untranslated cells (after ocring) and translate them.
For Studio's ocr, any pdf is just a picture. Where you see different/logically separated columns in different languages, ocr engine (not only in Studio) sees just vertical/horizontal lines and letters between them.

[Edited at 2016-01-30 20:37 GMT]

silvia72  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:46
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL trados studio 20015 + pdf bilingun files Jan 30, 2016

Thank You very much For your reply Stepan!
I think I'd better ask the customer to supply an editable version.
Anyway thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 + pdf bilingual documents

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search