One segment causes Studio 2015 to immediately close
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:32
Member (2015)
German to English
Feb 1, 2016

I am running Studio 2015 on a Windows 8.1 system and am having problems in certain files whereby when I enter a segment to start typing the translation, Studio immediately closes without saving.

It sometimes possible for me to skip this segment and continue translating and then return to it at the end but not always.

I have tried running a repair of Studio and have renamed various files as suggested by the problem solver to no avail.

The document I am working on at the moment is a .docx, which I have also converted into a .doc file. With the .doc file Studio simply freezes, stops responding and I have to close it using the Task Manager.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try open repair Feb 1, 2016

Hi Andrea,

I have a client whose Word files are always a problem. I found if I start Word then go to "Open", select the file and then click the small triangle on the "Open" button and then select the "Open repair" option, when the file opens there is a dialogue box which shows what Word has repaired. Save the file under a new name, open it in Studio as usual and then there are no problems translating it in Studio.

Regards,
Ben

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, that hasn't worked. Feb 1, 2016

I tried your suggestion Ben but although I opened the Word file with the repair option I received no dialogue box to say it had repaired anything and after storing it under a different name and re-opening in Studio the problem still occurs.

I had a similar problem with a PowerPoint file last week so it isn't just a Word issue. There do not appear to be any tags or formatting in this one segment either.

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
RTF? Feb 2, 2016

Hi Andrea,

Have you tried saving your Word file in RTF format and then opening that in Studio.

If it's just one segment you could try copying the source segment from Word into a text editor, then delete the source segment in Studio and insert the text from the text editor. You will lose all of your formatting for that segment, but it's a small price to pay for a solution

Regards,
Ben

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Different method of solving it Feb 2, 2016

Thanks for your support Ben.

I have solved this problem for now but it is an issue that keeps cropping up with various projects. I didn't have an opportunity to try your method as when I went through the verification process I was able to enter the text directly into the verification box (sorry I don't know what the box is called that shows you what errors need to be fixed in a file), which then solved the problem. I had attempted this previously but to no avail.

I was then contacted by SDL support and as I had already fixed the problem was unable to show what happens.

Will just have to wait and see if it crops up again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One segment causes Studio 2015 to immediately close

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search