Marthina Pettersson Cevallos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2016

Hi,

I have a problem opening rtf files in Studio 2015. I can choose languages and TM and then the dialogue box with "Please Wait Opening [file name]" shows, and there is my problem, the file never opens. A word dialogue box opens in the background prompting me to save the file, and when I do that or cancel it Trados shows me an error message saying "Error when pre-tweaking file" These rtf files that I need to open has been converted to rtf files from Excel files normally, but I really need to be able to open it as rtf file. If I save the file as a docx document I can open the file, but then a lot of text that I don´t need to translate shows (which don´t show in the rtf file) and then I have to save it back as rtf file before delivering it. It works, but it is a hassle to do this everytime.

Can someone please advise what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Judi Heppell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same problem Mar 18, 2016

I cannot open .rtf files either. When I try to open one to translate absolutely nothing happens ... I sit and wait during the "File opening" message but in the end I have to force shut Trados Suite 2015 as everything is just dead. This is really frustrating as I am working with a new client. Please can someone help us!

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try .doc? Mar 18, 2016

You should be able to open it in a text editor and convert it to a different format, for instance .doc. Then I would imagine you could translate it. After than, reconvert to .rtf?

Marthina Pettersson Cevallos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Avoid having to convert to .doc Mar 19, 2016

Yes, converting to .doc and then back to .rtf works, but that is what I want to avoid having to do all the time as it is quite time consuming given I receive quite a lot of this kind of files from a client. There must be a way to fix this error?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Has this been a problem since installation, or has it happened recently? Mar 19, 2016

If it has happened recently, probably some essential file has been corrupted. In which case I would try a repair installation.

If it happened when you upgraded to Studio 2015, I would try the following:
- Uninstall Studio (to be safe you may want to return the lisence first, though I don't think that should be necessary)
- Run ccleaner (a free utility) to clean up the registry
- Reinstall Studio 2015

If the problem still persists, you probably have to create a ticket with SDL to get help.

It may also be the problem is not with Studio, but with Microsoft Office, so it may be an idea to look into that.

[Edited at 2016-03-19 17:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open rtf files in Studio 2015

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search