Studio seems to use non-native keyboard layout on Mac
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2016

Currently I'm using SDL Studio 2011 on a new-to-me Macbook Pro that has Windows 7 as the only OS. The strange thing is that while the Russian Mac keyboard has comma and period on "6" and "7" keys, Studio 2011 seems to put both these characters on the "/" key, similar to the regular Russian PC keyboard. It can make it easier for me to adapt when working in the short term but is inconsistent otherwise (the other apps use the native layout). Is this intentional? Can it be changed within Studio?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Impossible Feb 18, 2016

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Currently I'm using SDL Studio 2011 on a new-to-me Macbook Pro that has Windows 7 as the only OS.

The only way to get Windows7 to run as the only OS on any Mac is if it's a hack. Expect even more problems.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Studio on a MAC Feb 18, 2016

Hi Artem,

Our Studio software is PC based and can only be installed (and or supported) on a MAC via Parallels or Bootcamp-
http://www.translationzone.com/support/how-to-run-sdl-trados-studio-on-an-apple-mac.html
You will also require a PC based (official) version of Windows/Office etc.
We cannot offer any support unless official recognised and correctly installed software is used.

If you need further help or advice please let me know.
We also have an excellent (and free) SDL community support forum-
http://xl8.one where you can post any questions and expect an answer from SDL and industry professionals.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac is a PC, and I do use Bootcamp Feb 18, 2016

It's perfectly possible, and no hack is involved, as any modern Mac is a UEFI Intel PC that runs Windows just fine. I do of course use Bootcamp software provided by Apple, and PC-based Windows 7 and Office.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No help Feb 18, 2016

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

It's perfectly possible, and no hack is involved, as any modern Mac is a UEFI Intel PC that runs Windows just fine. I do of course use Bootcamp software provided by Apple, and PC-based Windows 7 and Office.

You're already running into problems. Don't expect any help.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not Feb 18, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

You're already running into problems. Don't expect any help.

Tom, I'm not expecting any help from you on this topic.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: Issue resolved (an extra keyboard layout was the culprit) Feb 22, 2016

I have an update in case someone else encounters this issue with Russian keyboard in Windows on a Macbook.

Upon further investigation, the symptoms I described weren't unique to Studio, it's just that I had happened to only trigger them in Studio at first. It turned out that I had two Russian keyboard layouts: "Russian" (generic Windows) and "Russian (Apple)", the latter probably installed by Bootcamp and selected by default. Alt+Shift was selected as the hotkey for switching layouts between "US" and "Russian (Apple)", and Ctrl+Shift—pressed either inadvertently or as part of some other keystroke—switched layout to generic "Russian".

I resolved this by removing the "Russian (Apple)" layout and staying with the generic layout that is more or less in my muscle memory. This, by the way, is completely safe and does not disable Apple-specific hotkeys. You can choose the opposite way and leave only the "Russian (Apple)" layout; either way, it will be consistent. If you cannot remove a layout in "Keyboards and Language" because the "Remove" button is greyed out, it means that this layout is selected as default. Choose another default layout, and this button will become active for the layout in question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio seems to use non-native keyboard layout on Mac

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search