In Studio 2014, how can I save target as if tags are missing?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:41
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2016

How can I save target as if tags are missing? I tried saving now as target file, but received the error message that the file can't be saved as target because tags are missing.

But I don't want these tags, so I want to ignore that tags are missing and save as target anyway. Is there any way to do this?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:41
English to Russian
Insert them at the end of a sentence. Feb 20, 2016

This is the same as deleting (but still in compliance with the tag verification rules).

[Edited at 2016-02-20 08:24 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But be careful Feb 20, 2016

There is a reason that the tag check is there. If certain tags are deleted or wrongly placed, the exported document may not be readable - therefore the warning.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Special case Feb 20, 2016

Ok, I usually do that, add the tags at the end of the sentence. But this is special because:

1. I have a segment now where I can't see any tags, but I still get this red cross for missing tag (it says a tag pair is missing when I hover over the red cross). So how can I add a tag pair if there is no tag pair displayed?

2. I have chosen to not translate a whole segment and only mark it as Signed off (when I hover over the red cross, it says Segment has not been translated
... See more
Ok, I usually do that, add the tags at the end of the sentence. But this is special because:

1. I have a segment now where I can't see any tags, but I still get this red cross for missing tag (it says a tag pair is missing when I hover over the red cross). So how can I add a tag pair if there is no tag pair displayed?

2. I have chosen to not translate a whole segment and only mark it as Signed off (when I hover over the red cross, it says Segment has not been translated).
Collapse

Vesa Korhonen
Vesa Korhonen  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Tags may become obsolete Feb 20, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

There is a reason that the tag check is there. If certain tags are deleted or wrongly placed, the exported document may not be readable - therefore the warning.

This is indeed true in most cases, the result may be something very bad if the tags are just dropped out.

But there are also cases when certain tags are necessary in the source and not needed in the target. I've myself had a few cases where in expressions like "3rd" and "2nd", the "rd" and "nd" parts were made superscripts by tags appearing around them. If the correctly translated versions are "2." and "3.", there is no room and no use for the tags.

If it is possible to view the target, then one can verify whether there are any ill effects.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try running Verify Feb 20, 2016

As there are no tags in source, it sounds very strange, but I would try running Verify. Some warnings are wrong, and a new Verify run should usually fix that.

If it still warns that tags are missing where there are no tags in source, I have no other suggestion than to check extra carefully that it is actually the segment where the error is in, or if you are in the wrong segment.

If you have a segment you don't want to translate, I would try to add all the tags in target
... See more
As there are no tags in source, it sounds very strange, but I would try running Verify. Some warnings are wrong, and a new Verify run should usually fix that.

If it still warns that tags are missing where there are no tags in source, I have no other suggestion than to check extra carefully that it is actually the segment where the error is in, or if you are in the wrong segment.

If you have a segment you don't want to translate, I would try to add all the tags in target and otherwise leave it empty. When you have a warning which you are not interested in, you can usually just mark it as Disregard.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
There is nothing strange about it Feb 20, 2016

This behavior is normal for Trados. I experience this situation from time to time. Even when you have no tags it looks like there are some invisible tags... The only way to overcome this is copying all source to target for a "problem segment" and then carefully apply your translation over the source text.

[Edited at 2016-02-20 10:21 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked even with red crosses present Feb 20, 2016

For some reason it worked now to save Target as, even though I had only fixed some of the red cross segments (some remained unfixed and were still labelled as error).

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Yes, Feb 20, 2016

because not all tags are critical.
I also had such situation when I had to fix only a couple of errors among dozens and it succefully saved the target. But I cannot recall now how could I distinguish those critical errors...
(Most probably, just by chance... Fixing one after another and attempting to save afetr each move.)

[Edited at 2016-02-20 10:58 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In Studio 2014, how can I save target as if tags are missing?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »