If I purchase SDL trados and my computer dies do I have to purchase it again?
Thread poster: Maeve Bouvier

Maeve Bouvier
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2016

Hi I am considering purchasing SDL Trados and I am looking at which version I should opt for. One question I have is if I choose one which does not allow use on more than one computer what happens if my computer crashes? Do I have to purchase it again?
I'd be grateful for any advice,

Thanks,

Maeve

Ed Ashley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Won't be a problem Feb 21, 2016

You can download the program again from the SDL website. The only problem will be the licence attached to your broken computer, but you can ask SDL staff to cancel that one, then you'll be able to use your licence for the new computer. Hope that makes sense! It wouldn't be a problem, anyway.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Offending post removed

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:31
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
No problem Feb 21, 2016

I had to do this when my last computer suddenly died. Like Ed said, you have to deactivate your old license through SDL (I forget the exact procedure), and then you can use it on your new computer. It's very easy and straightforward.

Maeve Bouvier
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Laura and Ed Feb 21, 2016

Thanks Laura and Ed. Thought I'd just check.

All the best.

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This might be useful Feb 21, 2016

Like Laura and Ed said, you only need to deactivate your license.
This video might be useful, depending on your license version, but the process is basically the same with all recent versions:
SDL Trados Studio 2015 - How to deactivate your license online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDd0sSNIxys

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
If I purchase SDL trados and my computer dies do I have to purchase it again? Feb 22, 2016

Hi Maeve,

As I can see from your account you have purchased SDL Studio 2015 FREELANCE and would like to offer additional information in regards to activation/deactivation (the below You Tube video applies to Professional licenses and not necessarily FREELANCE!).

Should any one 'lose' their Freelance activation (crash/theft etc.) it is very simple to request a reset of the license- (this is always free of charge and does NOT require PSMA).

Simply log a Licensing reset at http://support.xl8.one/ Please remember to use your SDL account email address!)

If you have difficulties opening the above page- Please allow compatibility mode (in IE)
or even better I would suggest using Chrome.

SDL will then reset the license ASAP (same business day).

As a Professional freelance I would really suggest considering the PLUS version.
This license provides TWO (personal) activations allowing much more flexibility and security ensuring the absolute minimum of 'down' time.

SDL_Steve

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's strange... Feb 22, 2016

Hi Steve,
The link I provided from SDL applies only to Professional licenses?
It's strange, I've watched this video (when changed my machine), and it seems to work with Freelance licenses... unless I'm mistaken in the video.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
License return Feb 22, 2016

Hi All,

Just to clarify-

The video refers to Professional licenses in general and the OFFLINE activation, which is very different to a LICENSE RESET and should NOT be confused.

The reason behind this is that PRO licenses are often used on a corporate domain, where the individual user does NOT have admin rights/permissions to do certain activities and therefore is unable to install or de-install software/licenses because of these.
Offline deactivation is simply a solution addressing the firewall/domain situation.
To process OFFLINE activation- you must still be able to access the account/license.

This process will of course work with Freelance licenses as well if you have access to the account and license- but then if this is the case you should anyway simply deactivate the license as normal.

A license RESET (as opposed to offline activation) is a physical reset, that can only be performed by our licensing team and will be used in situations where the PC has crashed or the activation is otherwise unavailable.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

SDL_Steve

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many thanks, Steve Feb 25, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi All,

Just to clarify-

The video refers to Professional licenses in general and the OFFLINE activation, which is very different to a LICENSE RESET and should NOT be confused.

The reason behind this is that PRO licenses are often used on a corporate domain, where the individual user does NOT have admin rights/permissions to do certain activities and therefore is unable to install or de-install software/licenses because of these.
Offline deactivation is simply a solution addressing the firewall/domain situation.
To process OFFLINE activation- you must still be able to access the account/license.

This process will of course work with Freelance licenses as well if you have access to the account and license- but then if this is the case you should anyway simply deactivate the license as normal.

A license RESET (as opposed to offline activation) is a physical reset, that can only be performed by our licensing team and will be used in situations where the PC has crashed or the activation is otherwise unavailable.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

SDL_Steve

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If I purchase SDL trados and my computer dies do I have to purchase it again?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search