Thread poster: Birthe Omark

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:43
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2016

I have 188 word files in a tree structure of 60 folders and 4-5 levels. Each of these word files have segments marked with yellow that are not to be counted and not to be translated.
How do I cope with than in my analysis?
I have an unacceptable descrepancy between the MS Word Count, the SDL count and the customer's count...
Some of the 'yellow' words have been counted as repetitions (which they rightly are) - others are file names and some of these will be included in the fuzzy bands.
Maybe you can point me to a Paul Filkins article - I thought he has dealt with it - but I cannot find the article.
Thanks in advance
Birthe

Direct link Reply with quote

Christian Schaller
Germany
English to German
lock segments Feb 22, 2016

One solution I can recommend is locking the respective segements and then running a new analysis. Before you run the new analysis, make sure to check the option for locked segments to be listed separately. Yes, you will have to go to each file and lock the respective segments manually, but to my knowledge there is no easy way around this, unless you prepare the source files accordingly.

Christian

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Search and replace function in Word Feb 22, 2016

Hej Birthe, you should search all yellow colored words and replace them by making them invisible in Word first, before re-importing them in Studio (make sure, the settings show that invisible content will be ignored) but I don´t know how to process this for 188 Word files in Word as a batch solution, sorry.

[Edited at 2016-02-22 14:59 GMT]

Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:43
English to Russian
+ ...
search and replace Feb 23, 2016

Hi Birthe,

What you need to do is search highlighted text and replace it with a hidden font. This way such segments become invisible for SDL Studio. For batch processing try looking for an application or a Word macro that would allow batch processing with formatting. I searched Internet and found some though in Russian. Hope there should be something available in English too.

Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- the hard way, it is! Feb 23, 2016

Thank you very much for your replies, which unfortunately all seem to confirm that the hard way through.
What I thought was, that there would have been a solution in SDL just as you can define if tags, hyphens etc. are counted as words or not - then all yellow highlights should not be counten.
Elas.
But thank you all for your efforts.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:43
English to Russian
Insert all files in one Word file Feb 23, 2016

First, search your folder that contains those 60 folders for *.doc(x)
Copy all files to one location.
Open the first file. Insert all other files into the opened file (insert - object - text from file - select all files except the already opened one).
Mark all yellow "any character"s as hidden (as advised above).
Import the file into Studio.

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for sharing! Feb 24, 2016

...Stepan, I didn´t know about this batch solution (generally, I do not need all Word features).
Does it work in return, too? I mean, once combined all the files into one in Word, will Word be able to separate them back into single files again?

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:43
English to Russian
I don't think so... Feb 24, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Does it work in return, too?

This method is for word/char counting only.

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Helpful enough Feb 24, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:
This method is for word/char counting only.

That´s helpful enough, thank you for sharing!

Matthias

Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 29, 2016

Thank you for your input. It has been most helpful.
Best
Birthe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to block segments in word from being counted in 2015 analyses

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search