https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/298597-slow_when_using_online_tms.html

Slow when using online TMs
Thread poster: Annette Skipper (X)
Annette Skipper (X)
Annette Skipper (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:23
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2016

Hi all,

Does any one in here have knowledge of why Studio 2015 is very slow to check TMs and update TMs when I use online / GroupShare TMs? Sometimes I even get a timeout error and Studio is close to crashing waiting to update the online TM.

Studio works fine when I use very large TMs - e.g. 500-700 mb - so I don't think that lack of CPU or similar is the problem.

I am thinking that maybe it is a firewall problem and not a Studio 2015 problem but I have to
... See more
Hi all,

Does any one in here have knowledge of why Studio 2015 is very slow to check TMs and update TMs when I use online / GroupShare TMs? Sometimes I even get a timeout error and Studio is close to crashing waiting to update the online TM.

Studio works fine when I use very large TMs - e.g. 500-700 mb - so I don't think that lack of CPU or similar is the problem.

I am thinking that maybe it is a firewall problem and not a Studio 2015 problem but I have to start somewhere.

Help anyone?

Kind regards
Annette
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Depends on your connection Feb 22, 2016

Hi Annette

When you are connected to a GroupShare TM, access times obviously also depend on the performance of your connection to the GroupShare Server. As an example, there is a big difference whether you connect to a GS server of your company to which you are connected within a local area network or whether you connect to a GS server via the Internet, in which case you are also depending on the speed of your own Internet access connection.

I don't expect the firewall
... See more
Hi Annette

When you are connected to a GroupShare TM, access times obviously also depend on the performance of your connection to the GroupShare Server. As an example, there is a big difference whether you connect to a GS server of your company to which you are connected within a local area network or whether you connect to a GS server via the Internet, in which case you are also depending on the speed of your own Internet access connection.

I don't expect the firewall to play a role in performance because a firewall basically only decides whether you connection is allowed to get through or not, it does not noticeably slow it down. The key factor will be your Internet access speed as well as the bandwidth on the GS server poster's side.

So, my only advice is to check these influencing factors to find out what is slowing down your response times.

Walter
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
offline Feb 23, 2016

These problems are a constant nuisance with all online queries of this sort. I try to work with offline copies of the data if at all possible. I.e. download the TM to your computer if you can, and update it regularly if others are working on the same project. Live online lookups loog great in product brochures and they allow suppliers to charge exorbitant service fees but in practice they often cause more trouble than they are worth (often, not always: sometimes they work great or have no meanin... See more
These problems are a constant nuisance with all online queries of this sort. I try to work with offline copies of the data if at all possible. I.e. download the TM to your computer if you can, and update it regularly if others are working on the same project. Live online lookups loog great in product brochures and they allow suppliers to charge exorbitant service fees but in practice they often cause more trouble than they are worth (often, not always: sometimes they work great or have no meaningful alternative).Collapse

Annette Skipper (X)
Annette Skipper (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 23, 2016

Walter and Farkas,

Thanks for both your inputs.

I suspected that it had to do with the bandwidth of the provider of the GroupShare TM; I just wasn't sure which terminology (bandwidth) to use! So, thank you for that one, Walter, I'll take this back to my client.

An Farkas, I couldn't agree more! I resent this modern trend of having to work either online or with online TMs!

KR Annette

[Edited at 2016-02-23 09:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow when using online TMs

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »