Thread poster: Annette Skipper

Annette Skipper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:43
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2016

Hi all,

When I work on projects for SDL and I am required to use GroupShare TMs, Studio 2015 gets really slow in relation to searching the GS TMs for matches, during concordance searches and when entering a segment into the GS TMs after translation. Sometimes I even get a timeout error from Studio and/or it crashes.

I thought it had to do with my firewall but disabling it did not solve the problem. And according the my SDL PMs, other freelancers do not have the same problem with slow access to GS TMs so, according to them, it cannot be an SDL bandwidth problem as someone suggested the other day when I asked a similar question.

The problem is so annoying and slows my work performance down to such a degree that I am tempted to decline work from SDL which I would regret very much.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem, perhaps someone from SDL Supporticon_wink.gif

Thank you.

Annette

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Information request Feb 25, 2016

Hi Annette,

In order to assist you further could you confirm the following information please:

1. Your Operating System version
2. Anti - Virus Brand and whether you have more than one AV installed?
3. Office version and Internet browser do you use?

Looking forward to your reply.

SDL_Roman

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to questions Feb 25, 2016

Hi Roman,

Thanks for replying.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Your Operating System version - Windows 7

2. Anti - Virus Brand and whether you have more than one AV installed? - AVG Internet Security 2014, only one AV in use; Windows Firewall etc. is deactivated

3. Office version and Internet browser do you use? Office 2013 and Chrome (default browser) in combination with Internet Explorer on occasion.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Kind regards
Annette

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Temporary disable your Anti - Virus Feb 26, 2016

Hi Annette,

Thank you for information.

The only solution I could think of, at this moment, is to temporary disable your Anti - Virus (AVG)
and then try to access the GroupShare TM's again.

Anti - Viruses cause a lot s issues to Studio users and may slowdown some of the processes and external connections.

Also make sure you up-to-date with all Windows 7 updates you may have.

Try to follow the proposed solution and let me know if that would work please.

From our side I will continue to search on what else may cause this issue.

Kind regards,

SDL_Roman

[Edited at 2016-02-26 16:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-26 16:09 GMT]

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LinkScanner Surf-Shield Feb 26, 2016

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your reply.

In the meantime, I have tried deactivating various AVG elements and I have discovered that deactivating the LinkScanner Surf-Shield improves the lookup time to GS TMs significantly and the issue of delayed entering of translated segments is completely gone.

I have noticed from browsing the internet, that many players of online games have experienced the same slow response AFTER installing the AVG AV Suite and that deactivating either the mentioned Surf-Shield and/or the Online Shield component has improved their response times when using online games.

This, I suppose, is a problem for AVG to solve, not SDL Support as suchicon_smile.gif Could you find an alternative solution for the Studio Suite, however, this would be an enormous advantage for you and you product. We would all prefer to maintain maximum security in place when using online features such as dictionaries, ftp servers etc.

Should you require further information for your further investigations, please feel free to send me an email.

Kind regards
Annette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow access to GroupShare TM's

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search