Thread poster: Oliver Domínguez

Oliver Domínguez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:18
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2016

Hi all,

Generally, Trados Studio performance in my computer is poor. Segments confirm generally very slow. I work in a Parallels Virtual Machine running Windows 10 with 4 Gb assigned RAM on an SSD. Other programs I run work fine.

This week I received a 22,000 word project in one file, and when confirming, now the program needs from 30 to 40 seconds until it saves the segment and goes to the next unconfirmed one. The other functions of the program work normal like they always do.

I have done everything that was told on this post

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/278408-studio_2011_confirm_and_move_to_next_unconfirmed_segment_–_very_slow.html

and on the SDL help forum.

NOTHING works. I have also tried to split the sdlxliff file with SDL XLIFF Split/Merge into smaller files, but it does not work either.

I have even downloaded MemoQ, and build a new project. There everything worked fine, but tags were not imported properly, and I am afraid I will have to spend another day fixing that.

What else can be done? Any help will be soooo very much appreciated.

[Editado a las 2016-02-27 12:28 GMT]

[Editado a las 2016-02-27 12:29 GMT]

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
ideas Feb 27, 2016

Well...my first thought is the known antivirus issue...in my case using the stock Windows Defender I had to add the Trados exe file into the allowed programs...which completely solved the slow segment confirmation on my machine....but you say you've tried the solutions in the link....so some other ideas:

In your Windows VM guest, open the task manager and look at the memory usage % when you open the file and/or confirm segments....is it maxing out? what about the CPU usage?...if so, you could try allocating more memory and/or processing power to the VM guest (if available). I'm thinking that a 22k word file should not be that large in memory, but then again if there are lots of images and things other than text, then it is possible.

United States
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stock Windows Defender... Feb 27, 2016

When I installed Windows 10 one month ago, I read somewhere, that it does not "need" an antivirus. So I thought there wasn't any installed, just as a Mac does not need any. That is funny.

I'll have to check the settings, it is surely the reason for the poor performance.

Thanks a lot!

Oliver

United States
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the antivirus... Feb 27, 2016

I disabled Defender and the firewall, and reinstalled, but the problem remained.

In the task manager I saw, that when confirming a segment, a Word office background process would appear and increase the CPU usage. Killing this process froze Studio. I then checked what the connection between Studio and Word was about, and saw that all this fuss came from the grammar check during translation. Now Studio works so fast, I cannot believe it!

Thank you for the support.

Oliver

[Editado a las 2016-02-27 19:54 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Where did you find that? Feb 28, 2016

Hi Oliver, where is such a setting that connects to Word syntax checker? Not that I have any problems, it just interests me.

United States
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Word Grammar Checker Feb 28, 2016

The MS Word Grammar Checker is a specific app you can download from open exchange:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/mswordgrammarcheckerforstudio2015-796.html

Once you install it, you get the corresponding settings in the general options panel. It is pretty handy, but...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very slow performance: Trados Studio 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search