Cannot go back to Default languages Studio 2014
Thread poster: greta grinfeld

greta grinfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
English to Spanish
Feb 28, 2016

For some reason, whenever I start a new project, and also if I go to File, Options etc. om the drop down list for languages (source and target), I only see English an Spanish (in all its variants). Those are the languages I usually work with, but I was trying to open today a project package with English-German and I cannot do it.

How do I go back to the very initial Default in languages?

Thanks!
Greta

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 02:35
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Default languages? Feb 28, 2016

gretalondon wrote:
Thanks!
Greta

Always when I install Studio, I have to indicate 5 languages at installation time (Norwegian,English, Swedish, Danish and one other which I don't really need), whith no default set indicated, so I am a little puzzled by the reference to "default languages". The question is, if you did choose German at the time of installation. If not, I think you have to reinstall Studio over the installation you have, and choose German among the languages you want.

If you are using another tool besides Studio, perhaps you are confusing the two?

Roy

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
[Duplicate post - please delete] Feb 28, 2016

[Edited at 2016-02-28 12:16 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Reinstall Feb 28, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

so I am a little puzzled by the reference to "default languages". The question is, if you did choose German at the time of installation.

It sounds like Greta is simply trying to get to the point where she can select installation languages.

If not, I think you have to reinstall Studio over the installation you have, and choose German among the languages you want.

Unfortunately, if you did not select German as installation, that is the only option. This silly restriction causes me endless frustration, since two of my source languages have both Latin and Cyrillic variants, which Trados - for no logical reason - counts as different languages, so my 5 languages fill up easily without covering of all my working languages.

Greta - Even if you only regularly use EN/ES, find three more that you think there will be even a remote chance of using in the future and select them on installation. There's no reason not to.

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try a repair Feb 28, 2016

Before you resort to de-installing and installing Studio try a "Repair" on Studio from the Windows Control Panel. If you do de-install Studio don't deactivate the licence, just leave it as it is.

Ben

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I'll keep on trying Feb 28, 2016

Thanks Ben, Rudolf and Roy for your answers, you are very kind.

I do remember the 5 languages at installation stage, German was definitely not a choice, that might be the problem...maybe I just realised it today, and those are the only two languages (English-Spanish) I could always see on that drop down list ....I'm a bit puzzled as for some reason it looked different... I have a feeling that I clicked a language selection at Project setting or project template level while working (been doing a lot of alignment and translation memory creation with old translation pre-Studio) that became one at Default level, does sit make sense? ... All I did was go to File, Options, editor, languages and that;s where only English and Spanish are included (10-20 variants each), is that correct?

When I try to open this package I get this message:

" the package (name) cannot be opened as it contains languages that are not configured for this installation", do they mean the initial 5 language installation?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, does that mean that if I want to open a multilingual termbase or a translation memory say English-German, Studio won't allow me because I haven't chosen those languages during installation? What if I'm sent a project package with more languages..? I always work with those 2 languages and it's the first time I came across this!

[Edited at 2016-02-28 15:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-28 15:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-28 15:35 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
how often do you install Studio? Feb 28, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

gretalondon wrote:
Thanks!
Greta

Always when I install Studio, I have to indicate 5 languages at installation time (Norwegian,English, Swedish, Danish and one other which I don't really need), whith no default set indicated, so I am a little puzzled by the reference to "default languages". The question is, if you did choose German at the time of installation. If not, I think you have to reinstall Studio over the installation you have, and choose German among the languages you want.

If you are using another tool besides Studio, perhaps you are confusing the two?

Roy

Roy, how often do you install/reinstall Studio?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Not often, really Feb 28, 2016

gretalondon wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Always when I install Studio, I have to indicate 5 languages at installation time (Norwegian,English, Swedish, Danish and one other which I don't really need), whith no default set indicated, so I am a little puzzled by the reference to "default languages".
Roy

Roy, how often do you install/reinstall Studio?

When I used Trados, I did reinstall it from time to time to switch languages, but with Studio it hasn't happened that often. Except that I recently did try to install Windows 10, in which case I did install Studio 2015. And then I removed Windows 10 because even my desktop became write protected for some strange reason.

I then installed Windows 8 on a separate SSD disk, and at the same time reinstalled Studio. But except for that I haven't really installed Studio that often. But as you can see, the last year I did so a few times, but the reason wasn't really to fix anything in Studio.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 17:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot go back to Default languages Studio 2014

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search