Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do I need SDL AutoSuggest Creator if I am buying Trados Studio 2015 Freelance?
Thread poster: Brian Wolfe

Brian Wolfe
Germany
Local time: 21:31
German to English
Feb 28, 2016

Hi, I am about to buy Trados Freelance and am wondering if I need the separate product SDL AutoSuggest Creator. It's going for €100 instead of €200 until the end of February so I am in a bit of a rush.
My clients insist I buy Trados so my question is not about the value of Trados compared to other products but rather whether the AutoSuggest tool is really necessary for the Freelance version of Trados.
I would be really grateful for any advice.
Thanks - Brian

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not "really necessary" but "really useful" Feb 28, 2016

I'd recommend you buy the A/S license.

You can only create an A/S dictionary when you have a minimum of 10,000 units in your translation memory, so you may not be able to create one yet.

However, A/S dictionaries give very relevant suggestions because they come from your own resources.

If you don't buy the extra license, you'll still be able to use the autosuggest feature and get suggestions from any termbases, automatic concordance, autotext, fuzzy matches from your current TM and any machine translation providers set up like this.
You just won't be able to create your own dictionaries.

It's not "really necessary". You'll be able to work fine without it. But I personally find it useful and wouldn't want to be without it.

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Not necessary, but great to have Feb 28, 2016

Hi Brian,

please note that "AutoSuggest" and "AutoSuggest Creator" are two distinct features. AutoSuggest is predictive typing, AutoSuggest Creator is the tool that enables predictive typing (specific to a client's terminology).

You can use Trados without AutoSuggest the same way you can use an old-fashioned mobile phone without T9. You can produce all text you ever want, with or without the feature. But it is so much easier and faster if you have it.

What you could probably do would be to share AutoSuggest Creator with a colleague or client/agency. This feature creates a "dictionary" from a TM (the same way T9 has a dictionary that comes with your cellphone) once. From then on, you just use AutoSuggest, which is a part of Trados proper, you don't have to buy that as an addition, it comes with Trados all by itself.

So, you will actually use AutoSuggest Creator maybe once a year per end customer, but that will be very, very helpful. If you can send your TMs to a buddy to do this for you, only that buddy will need AutoSuggest Creator, but you will have to disclose the TMs, and if they belong to the client, you might get in trouble about your nondisclosure agreement.

Uhm, makes sense?
Ricki

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I would buy it Feb 28, 2016

When I bought Studio it was included in the offer at the time, or I might not have opted for it.

However, having got it, I decided to try it out, and have definitely been glad of it.

I attach my own AutoSuggest to all incoming packages... and automatically include an AutoSuggest dictionary in all my own project templates. As Emma says, having it made from your own TMs is definitely an advantage.

I would go for it if I were you!

Alexander Somin  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
Autosuggest Creator may be already included in the purchase Feb 28, 2016

I would clear with SDL, if this Creator is already included in the purchase (as they did it earlier). By the way, there is no limitation on the TU number in a TM to create an Autosuggest file for the latest version of the creator. It may be rather a small TM and the Creator would work. The latest version of Autosuggest feature works even without any autosuggest files, just on the fly from the current TMs in the project, and there are users which do not bother to create these autosuggest files any more.

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
All very helpful replies! Feb 28, 2016

It was very nice of all of you to respond to my question in so much detail. It has also made my decision a lot easier that you are all essentially in agreement that this tool is worth having.

I will also check with SDL whether the tool is included in Trados as used to be the case.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Best wishes

Brian

Grace Horsley  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
TGB includes autosuggest creator Feb 29, 2016

The current Group Buy on Proz.com includes the autosuggest creator

Bernd Sulkio-Cleff
Finland
Local time: 22:31
AutoSuggest Dictonary Feb 29, 2016

SDL Studio 2015 Freelance plus includes the tool "Create AutoSuggest Dictonary" in the "Translation Memories" view.

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Are "Create AutoSuggest Dictonary" and AutoSuggest Creator the same? Feb 29, 2016

BS-C wrote:

SDL Studio 2015 Freelance plus includes the tool "Create AutoSuggest Dictonary" in the "Translation Memories" view.

Hi - and thanks to you and the others for your answer. Do you know if this is the same thing as the AutoSuggest Creator?

It's all a bit confusing: I wish SDL would make it clearer whether one of their products is redundant if you place it in the shopping basket with a bigger package that comes with the same feature included. Shelling out several hundred for software is something I can accept, but not if I am buying stuff I already have in the main Trados tool.

I have asked SDL but no answer yet. Deadline for sale is today!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The ad I can see about the Studio Group Buy says 'Get AutoSuggest Creator free' Feb 29, 2016

So it is in the package.

It has been updated in the latest verson of Studio, so the name may have been updated too.

What you will get is the latest version. (This was one of the new features in 2015 compared with 2014.)

So yes, in principle it is the same as Create AutoSuggest Dictionary, in an improved version.

HTH!

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
They are offering the separate tool that normally costs €200 for free if you buy Trados Feb 29, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

So it is in the package.

It has been updated in the latest verson of Studio, so the name may have been updated too.

What you will get is the latest version. (This was one of the new features in 2015 compared with 2014.)

So yes, in principle it is the same as Create AutoSuggest Dictionary, in an improved version.

HTH!

They are not saying here that it's in Trados. They are offering the separate product for free (there are none left in case you are wondering why I don't buy it via ProZ).

I guess the fact that a ProZ group is offering this deal should tell me that the tool that comes for free is not in the main product.

I'll buy both (and look away when I click "purchase now").

Thanks

Brian

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - will do later today! Feb 29, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I'd recommend you buy the A/S license.

You can only create an A/S dictionary when you have a minimum of 10,000 units in your translation memory, so you may not be able to create one yet.

However, A/S dictionaries give very relevant suggestions because they come from your own resources.

If you don't buy the extra license, you'll still be able to use the autosuggest feature and get suggestions from any termbases, automatic concordance, autotext, fuzzy matches from your current TM and any machine translation providers set up like this.
You just won't be able to create your own dictionaries.

It's not "really necessary". You'll be able to work fine without it. But I personally find it useful and wouldn't want to be without it.

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help - I'll be playing safe and buying both Feb 29, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

Hi Brian,

please note that "AutoSuggest" and "AutoSuggest Creator" are two distinct features. AutoSuggest is predictive typing, AutoSuggest Creator is the tool that enables predictive typing (specific to a client's terminology).

You can use Trados without AutoSuggest the same way you can use an old-fashioned mobile phone without T9. You can produce all text you ever want, with or without the feature. But it is so much easier and faster if you have it.

What you could probably do would be to share AutoSuggest Creator with a colleague or client/agency. This feature creates a "dictionary" from a TM (the same way T9 has a dictionary that comes with your cellphone) once. From then on, you just use AutoSuggest, which is a part of Trados proper, you don't have to buy that as an addition, it comes with Trados all by itself.

So, you will actually use AutoSuggest Creator maybe once a year per end customer, but that will be very, very helpful. If you can send your TMs to a buddy to do this for you, only that buddy will need AutoSuggest Creator, but you will have to disclose the TMs, and if they belong to the client, you might get in trouble about your nondisclosure agreement.

Uhm, makes sense?
Ricki

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - will do later today! Feb 29, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

When I bought Studio it was included in the offer at the time, or I might not have opted for it.

However, having got it, I decided to try it out, and have definitely been glad of it.

I attach my own AutoSuggest to all incoming packages... and automatically include an AutoSuggest dictionary in all my own project templates. As Emma says, having it made from your own TMs is definitely an advantage.

I would go for it if I were you!

Brian Wolfe
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Am waiting for SDL to get back but I don't think they will before the deadline for end of sale. Thx Feb 29, 2016

Alexander Somin wrote:

I would clear with SDL, if this Creator is already included in the purchase (as they did it earlier). By the way, there is no limitation on the TU number in a TM to create an Autosuggest file for the latest version of the creator. It may be rather a small TM and the Creator would work. The latest version of Autosuggest feature works even without any autosuggest files, just on the fly from the current TMs in the project, and there are users which do not bother to create these autosuggest files any more.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need SDL AutoSuggest Creator if I am buying Trados Studio 2015 Freelance?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search