International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

STUDIO 2009: redundant tags in converted PDF file
Thread poster: Helena Grahn

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:23
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 28, 2016

You know when you upload a pdf file and as a result you see loads of tags on the left hand side where the source language is? Is there a way to delete those tags to make work easier or do you have to translate with tags both on the left and right sides?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:23
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Formatting Feb 28, 2016

Helena Grahn wrote:
You know when you upload a pdf file and as a result you see loads of tags on the left hand side where the source language is? Is there a way to delete those tags to make work easier or do you have to translate with tags both on the left and right sides?

Helena, those tags define formatting. If you don't have the tags in the left (the source) on the righthand side, Studio will likely complain when you try to generate the output file. So really you need to copy the source over, (ctrl + insert on my system) and replace the source text with your translation.

If you don't need the formatting, you could probably save the PDF file as a text file (which would contain no tags) and use this instead of the PDF as the source. When you load a text file into Studio, there should be no tags. However, your target file will also be a text file, with no formatting.

If the formatting is important, you'll probably have to learn to live with the tags.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-02-28 20:32 GMT]

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:23
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Tag Cleaner Feb 28, 2016

If the number of tags is really excessive (which it usually is for me with a .ppt file), you can use Tag Cleaner, a part of TransTools ( http://www.translatortools.net/powerpoint-tagcleaner.html ). It costs $25 for the entire suite, but it saves me a lot of annoyance and has done a really good job of keeping the formatting in the original .ppt while solving the tag problem. I use Studio 2014, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for 2009 as well.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:23
English to Russian
Try font settings Feb 29, 2016

As far as I understand, you mean a Word document as ocr'ed from pdf?.. ("converted pdf"...) This commonly causes messy tags.
If yes, before using powerful tools, you may try to select all text (Ctrl+A) and assign 100%, Normal, Normal values to letter/space intervals. In most cases, this resolves the problem. It does not change font type, size, or attributes (bold/italic/underlined). Then you can add it to Trados.
You can invoke those settings from Font menu or by Ctrl+D. Character spacing tab.
See this screenshot https://www.google.ru/search?q=character%20spacing%20tab%20word&newwindow=1&client=safari&hl=ru-ru&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH77mg-5vLAhWHHR4KHUE9BDwQ_AUICCgB&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=CeXc2jfyxqYlaM:

[Edited at 2016-02-29 03:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STUDIO 2009: redundant tags in converted PDF file

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search