Is the Studio Support Contract worth getting?
Thread poster: greta grinfeld

greta grinfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
English to Spanish
Feb 29, 2016

I use Studio 2014 and thinking of getting the support contract for a year ... problem is I need to upgrade first (as contract only works with latest version) and then buy the contract, all together not cheap.

Any experiences to share? I've read all about it on their website but not sure I get the kind of problems they will really be able to help with... (for example, I had real problems opening a project package a few days ago, If I contacted them, would they be able to explain why and send me in the right direction? I mean whether it's me doing something wrong or if there was something wrong with that package itself and that's the reason why it was impossible to open?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Support contract should include the cost of upgrade Feb 29, 2016

Please contact SDL to verify this, but as far as I know the support contract should include the cost of upgrade. The same should be true for when a new major version is released, support contract holders should receive the upgrade as part of the contract.

Whether or not the support contract is worth it is a subjective question. If you find yourself needing support every couple of weeks/the issues are critical in nature, or just don't want to go on forums and wait an unknown amount of time for an answer (which some see as a time waste and less reliable), and when factoring in that it includes upgrades to new major versions (released every 2-3 years on average), I would say that it is a good and solid business investment (that should also be tax deductible).

It makes less sense if you don't need support all that often (once or twice a year at most), the issues you need support for are not critical, willing to invest time and effort in trying to solve the problem yourself, and/or don't really the one to upgrade to a new version shortly after it is released.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Fully agree Feb 29, 2016

Thanks for your reply Shai. I'd need to pay for the upgrade (about £250) because I don't have the support contract yet, from what they explained, upgrades are free/included only if you already have the contract .. so once I get it, if there is a new Studio version released say in 2016-2017 (before my annual contract expires) then I'd get it... I see your point, and fully agree.. have you ever had it?

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
To have a support contract or not to.... Feb 29, 2016

Hi Great, Hi Shai,

The question of having a support contract or not- is as old as SDL itself-
but the simple answer I believe is YES- most definitely.

SDL I believe offers one of the richest variety of support resources available for any CAT tool provider or for software as a whole.->
-ranging from the free self serve KB- (http://kb.sdl.com/)

-to the multitude of FREE (pre-recorded and live) webinars (http://www.translationzone.com/events/webinar-recordings/)

-for general enquiries our SDL Live chat (bit.lySDLChat )

-and the various forums of which we also have our own
SDL community-( http://xl8.one )
staffed by both SDL and industry professionals- you are free to ask any questions surrounding Studio and normally expect a reply quite quickly.

PSMA further enhances all the free options in providing full (unlimited technical support) within agreed SLA's- giving you the PROFESSIONAL FREELANCE TRANSLATOR peace of mind knowing full professional technical support is but just a few 'clicks' away and you should be able to hit the deadlines.
Support offers you help via email/telephone/Webex for anything and all Studio related.

The cost of PSMA?
just 30p a day- which again includes upgrades at no extra cost.
-often the cost of an individual upgrade outweighs the costs of maintaining a support contract- but with none of the benefits.

For 30p per day (or under £110 per year) -
you have one fixed cost that covers all your support and upgrade needs.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I had one Feb 29, 2016

I had one, but it is not really relevant because our circumstances may vary.
I have two colleagues who have one and are happy with it even if just for the peace of mind it gives them knowing that in case of an issue they will contact support and a support engineer will sort everything out for them (as opposed to going online to get support from the community). The bundled cost of upgrades makes it almost a subscription model, so when they factor in the peace of mind, ease of getting support, and savings on the cost of upgrades, it works out for them as a solid and economical investment.

But I also know colleagues who never bothered, rarely run into problems and when they do they take the community support approach which usually works well and within a reasonable time frame.

So it is really preferential, but in my opinion getting a support contract just for one year (with no intention to renew it, i.e. just to "test" it) is a bit missing the point. Unless an unexpected critical issue occurs (or a series of smaller ones) that solving yourself would cost in time and effort more than the support contract, there is not much value in it. I think that the value/ROI of the support contract is long-term, probably measured at around 5 years or so. For a single year it doesn't make that much of a sense.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
The support contract looks good, it's the compulsory paid upgrade that's putting me off Feb 29, 2016

Thanks for your replies Steve and Shai,

Yes, I fully agree that peace of mind is often worth paying for... the extra £250 pounds of the compulsory upgrade puts me off... I wasn't expecting it...I suppose I should have got the contract when I purchased Studio 2014, now it means an extra £370 all together...

[Edited at 2016-02-29 13:01 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
The support contract looks good, it's the compulsory paid upgrade that's putting me off Feb 29, 2016

Hi Greata,

Are you a member of any larger agencies? Some offer significant discounts when upgrading-
Proz.com offer 15% discount for members.
Let me know when you are thinking of upgrading as offers change all the time and March is fast approaching

Kr

SDL_Steve

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steve Feb 29, 2016

Thanks Steve, I will let you know, that's very kind.

Any level of membership in ProZ will be ok for the 15% discount?

Greta

[Edited at 2016-02-29 13:16 GMT]

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not useful if you have a tight deadline Feb 29, 2016

My experience with SDL support agreement has been both positive and, alas, negative. The biggest stumbling block has always been the fact that you have to wait a few hours until somebody gets back to you, sometimes even days. One you get the support, it is very good, but it does not really help if you have to deliver the project in 30 minutes and run into a problem suddenly. Generally, it will take a few hours to sort the problem out with the help from SDL, and, from what I have seen, it will take you roughly the same time if you go for community help.

I personally always get some sort of astronomic upgrade and support agreement quotes, so 'just under £110' in my case usually turns out to be just under £200 once you factor in the VAT. No idea why, but it might have to do with the fact that we usually get penalised for living in the UK when it comes to EUR and USD prices.

What I am going to do is wait til the next upgrade is announced, then upgrade my 2014 to 2015 at the right moment to get the upgrade up from 2015 for free. And for the upgrade after the next one, I will get a support agreement once I am sure it will include the next upgrade. This is the only scenario in which I find the PSMA useful. If you upgrade now and get the PSMA, you might just miss the next upgrade, as they do not actually come out like Samsung Galaxies once a year, or at least that has been my experience.

Ines

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
English
Just thought I'd add... Mar 1, 2016

.. my view on this. I think it's like any non mandatory insurance. If peace of mind isn't enough for you then it's always a waste of money until you really need it. When do you really need it? Could be tomorrow... could be in 5-yrs time.

If I was working for myself as a translator or project manager then I would definitely have one. I'd still use the free communities too, but I'd want that peace of mind and even the ability to be able to say I had done everything I could in the event it took a few days to get a problem resolved and I was late.

The regular upgrades at no additional cost to the cost of the PSMA help to set a regular budget for your business too and over the course of the year I don't think it's excessive.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:19
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Depends how computer savvy you are Mar 1, 2016

I have never had use of any such paid support agreement, but have usually found out some other way what is wrong.

When there has been problems, they have invariably been connected to my pc and not Studio, and then I would not expect SDL to be of much help, really.

For Studio I have felt that the discussion group has been sufficient help pluss whatever I have found after a search on the Internet. So for me it would basically be a waste of money.

For others who knows less about their computer system it may still be worth it, of course.

Roy

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds exactly as I thought... Mar 1, 2016

Hi Ines,

Thanks for your reply and details.

Your experience sounds exactly as I expected it ... will have to think about it...waiting to see if there are any March offers...your plan sounds good...

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
March Offers. Mar 1, 2016

Hi Greta,

You wish is my command

Our new March Offers have now been released-

https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/promotion.aspx?PromotionCode=customer-experience

Any questions?

Kr
SDL_Steve

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I'm tempted... Mar 1, 2016

Thanks Steve, you are a star.
Is this offer available for the whole of March?
Greta

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
March Offers- Mar 1, 2016

Yes-
this should be valid for the whole of the month.
If for any reason its not (things can and do change) just let me know and I will 'make it happen'.

Kr

SDL_Steve

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the Studio Support Contract worth getting?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search