Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 4, 2016

I'm working on a 4-part project, where there are 6 files in each part, one main Word file and 5 appendixes. I merged the files into one and alle looked well. But one of the appendixes, a Word table, is not translated, though in Editor all is translated and confirmed. In the Document only the first cell is translated, the rest left in the source language.
I translated again the single document, but the same result!

I had to copy the translations by hand from the External Review file.

The same happens for the other parts of my project, in every part the same appendix is not translated.

Any explanation for this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:25
Polish to English
+ ...
Ideas for a solution. Mar 4, 2016

I suspect this appendix includes a bug that makes some adverse influence on the Studio operation.

Try to change the appendix format into another format: DOCX, RTF, ODT, XML etc. - whichever is compatible with Studio 2015, and translate thereafter.

Should this solution not work, I would convert this appendix into PDF, and then, OCR the file with FineReader
in order to produce DOC or DOCX file. Hoping that such double processing would kill any bug that impedes your work.

The third - and most time-consuming - method would consist in printing the file, OCRing the printout (FineReader as above), and saving the output in a Studio-copatible format.

HTH

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Another possible cause Mar 4, 2016

Appendices often contain autotext. Some standard sections may include autofill addresses, banking details, etc. Maybe this is what causes such behavior?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right Mar 4, 2016

Both methods work, either copy text to new docx and save or save from doc to docx. Hope I remember next time this trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 refuses to save translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search