Remove file from project without deleting it
Thread poster: Franz Holzer

Franz Holzer
Local time: 20:20
Greek to German
+ ...
Mar 4, 2016

Hello!
Maybe somebody knows how I can remove a file from the file list of a project, without being deleted from the disk. I cannot find the solution.

TIA
Franz

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:20
English to Russian
Make a copy Mar 4, 2016

as an option.

[Edited at 2016-03-05 01:04 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I dont understand your hint Stepan!!! Mar 5, 2016

I dont understand your hint Stepan!!!

Russian Federation
English to Russian
I just changed my post Mar 6, 2016

Because my first post was full of criticism. I do not understand why SDL believe they are authorized to delete my files from disk. In fact there is no way to remove a file from Trados without deleting it from disk. But I struggle myself to reduce the amount of criticism in general. Therefore I had to rewrite my post to read as above. Treat it as if it was deleted. I cannot delete it, so I had to write anything...
It seems that the only way is to make 5 to 6 copies of your file (on memory stick, on another PC, on laptop, in your email, in your friend's or wife's email, etc.) to be on the safe side when working with Trados.
Sorry for such meaningless reply, but it's by design.

[Edited at 2016-03-06 00:42 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
What does "remove" mean? Mar 6, 2016

I think the confusion in this thread lies in the word "remove". In Windows File Explorer, as you know, you delete (with the delete button), move (cut and paste) or copy (copy and paste) a file.
Studio isn't a file manager app, so you can't do all those things.

Studio file processing is done through batch tasks.
That's to comply with Studio's logic and keep files in working order. Remember that files in Studio depend on each other to function properly. So, the bilingual file in your target language has been originally copied from the source language one, the clean target file is produced from your target bilingual file and your native source file, etc. That's why you can't move files around inside Studio.

If by "remove" you mean copy a file elsewhere:
- Browse to where your file is (if you don't know where it is, go to the Files view in Studio, right click on the file name and select "Explore containing folder").
- Copy it and paste it anywhere you choose.
- Then, depending which file you've copied, you can delete it from the file list in Studio if you want to.

Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remove means, deleting only from the list Mar 6, 2016

Dear Emma,
thank you for your reply.
If I said "remove" I meant to remove it ONLY form filelist, not the files themselves from HD. I have searched a lot in the meanwhile, but I did not find a salution. I can live with it though.
But the day before yesterday I had seen somewhere that in an older version of SDL it was possible.

TIA
Franz

Russian Federation
English to Russian
It's from 2009 Mar 6, 2016

I experienced this issue when we used corporate Studio 2009. It is not new.
Remove means remove. When you remove it from source section in Trados, Trados even warns you that the file will be removed from disc with only two options available: yes (say goodbye to your file) and no (cancel the operation with the file remaining in Trados).

When you create a project and add a file, Trados creates two folders, one for source and one for target. If you delete the very original file using the Trados logic, the "second" original file (as copied by Trados) will remain in the Trados source folder. Not in the initial folder where you added it from, but in the source folder that Trados creates under the project creation logic.
So, in theory, after creating a project in Trados and before removing the file from filelist, you will have three files with the very same name: one in your folder where you add the file from, one in Trados source folder, and one will appear in Trados target folder when you complete translation.

[Edited at 2016-03-06 17:18 GMT]

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Studio is not consistent Mar 6, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
In Windows File Explorer, as you know, you delete (with the delete button), move (cut and paste) or copy (copy and paste) a file.
Studio isn't a file manager app, so you can't do all those things.

The point I think is that Studio really isn't consistent here.

When we add a file to a Studio project, that file already exists on the disk. The act of adding the file to the project does not magically bring that file into being.

So far so obvious. However, to be logically consistent, the act of removing a file from a project should not destroy that file. The file had an independent existence before it was added to a Studio project. It should have an independent existence after being removed from a Studio project.

Frankly, requiring the file to be deleted smacks of developer laziness. I can't see why (in programmatic terms) adding a file to a project should be an irreversible operation. If I have two files that are independent from each other but part of the same project - and especially if translation on one file has not even begun - why should removing the file not be possible?

I suspect that somebody, somewhere made a poor design choice that would be arduous to unwind and that SDL has just decided that it's not worth spending the resources to fix it.

However, that's just speculation. The key issue is that Studio deletes files that shouldn't be deleted.

Regards
Dan

Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you!! Mar 6, 2016

I understand there is no solution the way I want it.
Thank you all for your hints and your opinions!

Franz

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:20
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Which file is deleted? Mar 6, 2016

There are several files involved: a source file imported for translation (not the original), a source sdlxliff file, a target exported file and a target sdlxliff file.

The only deleted file is the the target sdlxliff bilingual file, not the export. This file can be easily recreated by re-importing and running the batch process to pre-translate. No irreversible loss.

HTH
Sandra

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I must admit... Mar 6, 2016

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:
Which file is deleted?

...I've never had the courage to allow it to delete it so I haven't found out! (Nor does it specify which file WILL be deleted - I don't think.)

Dan

Russian Federation
English to Russian
The original file Mar 6, 2016

Funnily, Trados removes the original file. Not even the file it copies for its own purposes, but exactly the original file. Yes, when you remove a file from TARGET section, it removes sdlxliff. But when you remove your file from SOURCE section, it removes your original file, not the file created by Trados, but exactly the original one! I know what I am talking about. Yes, you can recover it. But why on earth I have to recover something?? I paid money not for recovering!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
??? Mar 6, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

Funnily, Trados removes the original file.

Oh, really?

Russian Federation
English to Russian
No, me and original poster are just kidding you Mar 6, 2016

We are close friends. We decided to attack Trados for nothing. We have spent hours and even days to think out a reason. Want me to upload screenshots how it works?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
How is this possible? Mar 6, 2016

I just wonder how could such strange things happen. I use Trados since quite a few years, different versions under various OS - and have never encountered anything like this.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remove file from project without deleting it

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search