https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299200-target_file_shows_unwanted_html_encoding.html

Target file shows unwanted HTML-encoding
Thread poster: Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:17
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 7, 2016

Hi, I have done a normal translation with Trados and so far, when using "save target as", I received a regular .doc-file for print out. Now, all of a sudden, the same file shows html-encoding for headers and certain parts of the document that haven't been there before. Any idea how to get it back to normal, meaning, just plain text?

(I am not talking about showing paragraph signs etc., but html, which must be transferred from Trados into the .doc-file somehow).

Thanks a
... See more
Hi, I have done a normal translation with Trados and so far, when using "save target as", I received a regular .doc-file for print out. Now, all of a sudden, the same file shows html-encoding for headers and certain parts of the document that haven't been there before. Any idea how to get it back to normal, meaning, just plain text?

(I am not talking about showing paragraph signs etc., but html, which must be transferred from Trados into the .doc-file somehow).

Thanks a lot
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:17
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Field codes? Mar 7, 2016

I wonder if you're talking about field codes?
Select one of the codes and press Alt+F9 in Word.
If that works, you can toggle all of them on and off by selecting the whole text and then pressing AltF9.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could give us an example of the unwanted code that appears.

Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:17
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
looks like field codes, but doesn't act like one Mar 7, 2016

Hi Emma,

thank you for bothering with this.
It looks like field codes, but Alt F9 doesn't change anything.
I cannot even copy them here in order to show how it looks like.
I think they are field codes or programming from Trados that get
accidently saved into the the Word document.
Really annoying.

Thank you for your input.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:17
French to German
+ ...
Studio does not insert any "programming" Mar 9, 2016

Hi Joseann

Studio does not insert any "field codes or programming" into the target document that are not present in the source document.

Do these text portions appear with a grey background when you select them with the cursor? If yes, what happens if you hit SHIFT-F9?

If this doesn't help and they are not field codes, then I suggest you upload a screenshot, so that we can see what you are referring to.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target file shows unwanted HTML-encoding

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »