bartpauly  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:36
Member (2015)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 7, 2016

Dear all,

A client sent me some files for translation. One of them is an Excel file from version 97-2003. When trying to create a project, I got the error message saying that the file is created with a version that is not compatible with Studio. I tried to save it again under the xlsx format, didn't help. I tried to copy paste it into a new document, and save it under the xlsx format, didn't help neither. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
The brutal method Mar 7, 2016

Copy the Excel content and insert it into Word as a Word table. Try again.

Not elegant, but if it works: better than nothing.

bartpauly  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Mar 7, 2016

Thank you,

I've tried it, but it doesn't work. I'm getting really frustrated with this software. It happens a lot of times that there is some or another problem, it shouldn't be like that for a software of approximately 600 €. Not mentioning that you have to pay extra if you want decent support...

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
LibreOffice Mar 7, 2016

Neither RTF (from Word)?

The other thing I do is save it in the LibreOffice format (ODS) and then create an entirely new Trados project including that file; this also has a non-zero probability of success.

ETA: I think you'd have to install LibreOffice first; I have no idea if ODS files can created in MS Word.

[Edited at 2016-03-07 17:44 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you have a look at .... Mar 7, 2016

.. KB article 2629
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2629

which explains this issue and what you can do about it.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel 97-2003 in Trados Studio 2014

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search