Real difference between merge/overwrite/keep last TU?
Thread poster: Fep
Fep
Local time: 05:34
German to French
+ ...
Mar 9, 2016

Hello,

In the Project Settings > Language Pairs > Batch processing > Translation Memory Update…
What is the difference between « Merge translation units », « overwrite translation units », and “Keep most recent translation units” ?
As far as I could test it, with all these three options, only the latest translation is kept in the translation memory, which means that I don’t understand what is the difference between them.

It is quite important, since we have the same segment coming in several documents, and we need to keep three possible versions in our translation memory (and then we choose one of the three official versions) according to context everytime that is comes up.

Is the only way to do this to choose “add new translation units” ? But in that case, won’t our translation memory be littered with (bad) translations ? (Since every time we put a segment as translated and then maybe correct a typo and re-validate it, several TU are created?) Isn't there a way to let alone the TU which have been added from another document?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:34
English to Russian
Global settings vs Project settings Mar 9, 2016

Trados has two types of settings, global settings (under Options) and project settings (under current Project settings). If you change current project settings, these changes will not apply to new projects. And vice verse, when you change global settings, the already existing project settings will remain the same.
In theory, Merge keeps all translation variants for the same source.
Overwrite replaces all previous translations with the one you just confirmed.
Keep the most recent keeps the latest translation even if you use older sdlxliff. This may happen when you confirmed translation on 9th March 15.00hrs and then your translator sent you his/her work completed a week/day/hour/minute before 9th March 15.00hrs.
Try to fiddle with global and current project settings. I suspect this is the cause.

[Edited at 2016-03-09 19:25 GMT]

Fep
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
where are the multiple translation visible? Mar 10, 2016

Thank you for your answer!
Merging is the option by default and it seems great. I understand that merging means theoretically that several translation variants are kept... but :
- I can't find in the translation memory
- they do not appear as suggestions when there is a match in a new document (only the last validated translation)
So... where exactly are they ?
It's not much use to tell me they are kept if I never can see them...

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:34
English to Russian
I tried to find this but failed Mar 11, 2016

All I could acheive with Add New Translation option was seeing 3 variants (in most cases), maximum 4 variants (two times occasionally I could see 4 variants without tracable cause-effect logic), though I tested 7 variants (and could not manage to see all 7 variants at a time). So I give up.

I think the best way is to follow the advise at another thread here:

...our SDL community forum-
http://xl8.one is great place for help- what ever the question...

Fep
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Mar 14, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to try it out!
And thank you for giving the other thread reference, I'll look at it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Real difference between merge/overwrite/keep last TU?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search