Thread poster: Maxim Polukhin

Maxim Polukhin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 11, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I work with SDL Trados Sudio 2014. It is very convenient to use different TMs, Autosuggest, Termbases in SDL Trados Sudio 2014. Sure It will be very convenient to use different Autotext files (format "AUTOTXT" (.autoTxt)).

I have different Autotext files for different topics and I want to be able to raplace them quickly.

Please let me know if you know how to kill existing Autotext entries and replace them with new ones quickly.

Is it possible to delete all existing Autotext entries at once somehow?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:16
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Notepad++ Mar 12, 2016

I'd use the export/import function in Studio (File>Options>AutoSuggest>AutoText) to export the language-specific list.

Then you can open the .autoTxt file with Notepad++ and edit the file easily, or even delete all existing entries at once. Also, as you say, you can have a collection of Autotext files and replace one file in Studio with another created for a different topic.

It would be nice to have project-specific AutoText files, but that's not possible at the moment.

Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But export of Autotext entries doesn't allow to get rid of existing Autotext entries Mar 12, 2016

So I need to explain my question better: I need a way to delete existing Autotext entries fast so after that I can import what I need (for example a better version of Autotext).

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
UserSettings.xml Mar 12, 2016

I didn't realise that importing an .autotxt file simply adds entries to the existing list. That's not good.

If you want to edit the existing list, then you'll have to go to the UserSettings.xml file where the autotext lists are stored.

- Close Studio.
- For Studio 2014, you'll find the UserSettings.xml file here:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0
- (Make a copy of the xml file elsewhere, just in case.)
- Change the extension from .xml to .txt and open it in a text editor.
- Browse to the language list you want to edit (or search for a word you know is in the list)
- Edit/delete the entries
- Save
- Change the extension back to .xml
- Reopen Studio.

This workaround is fine as a one-off solution, but certainly doesn't fall under your heading of "quick replacement"

[Edited at 2016-03-13 12:01 GMT]

Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with appearance of .xml.bak file Mar 13, 2016

Dear Emma,

Your answer looks VERY logic but I still can not get the needed result.

I followed your instuctions very carefully for 5 times. But SDL Trados Sudio 2014 still creates this file UserSettings.xml.bak in the folder "11.0.0.0"

It looks like this file appears for no reason.

All my settings (which I don’t want to loose) disappear.

Please let me know how to make SDL Trados Sudio 2014 not to create this file with .xml.bak extention.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
bak files Mar 13, 2016

Hmm, I don't know why it doesn't work for you. I tested it and it worked fine on my set-up.
The fact you're getting a .bak file (which I don't) suggests that Studio has noticed that the original file is being overwritten and is saving a backup copy in case.
Studio shouldn't "notice" at all.

So I wonder whether you definitely closed Studio first of all, and whether you renamed the file name in the penultimate step instead of changing the extension. I've edited that step in my post above. Instead of saying "- Rename .xml" I've clarified it a bit.

If you're losing all your settings, that means Studio is recreating the file from scratch because it can't find it. So, somehow you haven't saved the edited file where Studio is looking for it (in the path mentioned above).

I'm running out of ideas now, so I hope one of the above solutions work!

Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed! Mar 13, 2016

Part of your idea finaly worked for me. I killed all autotext entries in UserSettings. So my settings did not suffer after that.
Then I opend SDL Trados Sudio 2014 and imported the needed file containg only selected words and phrases.

Without your advice to work with UserSettings file I would not manage this problem. Thank you very much!

I was not hoping for very quick method - as a realist I am completelly happy with this one.

Alex Lilo
Ukraine
Local time: 19:16
English to Russian
+ ...
sdlprofile Mar 14, 2016

Emma, brilliant advice, as always!

Let me share a possible quicker way to do this without having to edit the settings file each time.
I haven't tried it though, so back up your files before experimenting.

If you already have an autotext you would like to modify, you can do this by following Emma's advice.

But you can also create multiple user profiles each containing the autotext entries you want. .sdlprofile files can be modified in notepad or (better) notepad++.

To create sdlprofile files, go to File -> Setup -> Manage User Profiles in Studio.

You can create multiple profiles either by copying and manually editing the first exported file or by adjusting the options in Studio and saving each configuration as a user profile.

This is the basic idea. Should be easy to proceed from here. I don't think changing the extension makes any difference, so you can just open an .sdlprofile or .xml file directly in notepad++. Notepad++ is free and I recommend it for these files. It displays the file structure nicely and all entries are listed as a separate line. Notepad often removes new lines/paragraphs (CR/LF) and displays multiple lines as one row.

Hope this helps and I am curious to hear if it works. It should in theory.

[Edited at 2016-03-14 16:02 GMT]

Alex Lilo
Ukraine
Local time: 19:16
English to Russian
+ ...
export/import details Mar 14, 2016

I just realiazed that I had forgotten to explain how to export and import each modified profile.

It is easy.
To export an sdlprofile file in Studio, go to File -> Setup -> Manage User Profiles and select Export user settings. Fill the fields approapriately, select a folder and save the exported file.
You can use the file to create multiple files with different autotext entries. Or use it as a backup.

To import the profile that best suits your current project, do the same as above: go to File -> Setup -> Manage User Profiles again but this time select "Change user profile" and then "Do not back up, overwrite my current settings" and click Browse to select your file.

By the way, I just tested the method and it works like a charm.

Also, you don't need to restart SDL Trados Studio. Just select the profile with the right autotext entries if your domain changes with your new project. I have also wanted Studio to have an option where I could select from multiple autotext files. This trick does just that.

It is always a good idea to backup your existing settings: go to File -> Setup -> Manage User Profiles and select either option:

Export user settings (as described in the first step above)
or
Change user profile and Back up my existing settings to the following location

Enjoy!

[Edited at 2016-03-14 16:59 GMT]

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
User profile solution Mar 14, 2016

Alex Lilo wrote:

But you can also create multiple user profiles each containing the autotext entries you want.

Great solution, Alex! I'd never thought of that!

A combination of clearing an autotext list with my method and then creating a separate user profile for each autotext list with your method is the best solution for Maxim.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quick replacement of Autotext files

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search