linguainfo
India
Local time: 03:20
Armenian to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2016

Hello,

I have received a .xml file from the client for translation

They have sent me an XML file version and they want me to do translation directly in it.

But I have no idea how to translate the XML file.

I have Trados 2011

Please advice How i can do this with and without help of Trados

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:50
French to German
+ ...
You need to customize the XML Mar 12, 2016

Hi

You can just open the XML file in Studio, but you will probably see more than just the translatable content.

XML is a standard, and this means that you may have hundreds of different flavours of XML files. These files often come as an export from a Content Management System or a Publishing or Authoring System and they usually contain not just what you need to translate, but additional information of technical nature.

This means that you need to analyze the structure of the XML file to find out which elements need to be translated and which ones not. Hopefully, the client will be able to assist you in doing this.
You then need to create a "custom XML" filetype (based on the default AnyXML in Studio) and adapt it, so that Studio only shows you the translatable content.

This article here may help you in getting this achieved:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do translation in .xml File

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search