https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299554-studio_2015_not_letting_me_import_my_studio_2011_file_types_help_please.html

Studio 2015 not letting me import my Studio 2011 file types. Help please.
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 06:24
Mar 15, 2016

I was led to believe that Studio 2015 was fully backward compatible with Studio 2011 stuff, but I just installed it, and the very first thing I tried to do was to import my custom file types. No go. I get the error message: "Cannot import settings: unable to find the file type with ID xxxx_xx where the latter is the name of my .sdlftsettings file. What am I doing wrong? I'd really rather not have to re-create the old file types from scratch.

Now it is true that I haven't yet ent
... See more
I was led to believe that Studio 2015 was fully backward compatible with Studio 2011 stuff, but I just installed it, and the very first thing I tried to do was to import my custom file types. No go. I get the error message: "Cannot import settings: unable to find the file type with ID xxxx_xx where the latter is the name of my .sdlftsettings file. What am I doing wrong? I'd really rather not have to re-create the old file types from scratch.

Now it is true that I haven't yet entered the license key, but I thought I had full Professional level functionality for 30 days. Is importing custom file types from previous Trados versions the exception or something?

If it makes a difference, the Studio 2011 file types are HTML template ones for SGML files that conform to my company's DTDs.

[Edited at 2016-03-15 21:04 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:24
English
Every filetype... Mar 16, 2016

... has a unique ID. If you've customised filetypes that are older than the new versions then the IDs won't match. You will have to recreate them.

What kind of filetypes are these?

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 06:24
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply Mar 16, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

... has a unique ID. If you've customised filetypes that are older than the new versions then the IDs won't match. You will have to recreate them.

What kind of filetypes are these?

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

They're the very custom ones you helped me set up for our driver's, maintenance, and service manuals and bulletins a few years back (which all are made up of SGML files).

Since I posted earlier I managed to create a new file type (based on HTML) for our driver's manuals using the old .ini files from Trados 2007 (which I recall themselves had to be altered somehow to enable them for use in converting them to Studio 2011 file types). I had to go in and doctor the entity recognition/conversions and still have to redo the QuickInserts. I was hoping to avoid all that but apparently that is not to be.

At least the TM I used to test the new file type was recognized. I gather from reading your links above that I'll have to re-create all my existing project templates as well, correct?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 not letting me import my Studio 2011 file types. Help please.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »