Import bilingual Word table into source/target respectively?
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Mar 18, 2016

I have a Word document consisting entirely of one, 2-column table. On the left is the source, on the right is the target. The target is mostly translated, and seems to be reasonable English.

I would like to import the Word file into SDL Studio 2015 in such a way that the left-hand column of the table goes into the source and the right-hand column goes into the target.

Is there an easy way to do this, other than creating TMs and so on? My question is similar to that posed in this thread back in 2012, but the solution was quite long-winded. I am hoping that over the past four years a better way of dealing with such files has been found.

Regards
Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:33
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
bilingual excel Mar 18, 2016

A bilingual Excel file type is the way to go.
Paste your table into Excel, define which column is source and which is target in the file type in STudio, and whether you want to confirm target content, and you're done.

The only caveat is that formatting will be lost, which may be a problem if you're coming from Word.

Edited to remove a typo and delete the bit asking whether you use Studio 2015.

[Edited at 2016-03-18 10:35 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Formatting not an issue in this case Mar 18, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
The only caveat is that formatting will be lost, which may be a problem if you're coming from Word.

Thank you Emma, I will round-trip it through Excel and see how that works.

Regards
Dan

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Blog post Mar 18, 2016

By the way, here's a nice article by Nora Díaz on the bilingual Excel file type:
http://noradiaz.blogspot.com.es/2015/06/the-new-bilingual-excel-file-type-in.html

Noelia Berná
Spain
Member (May 2017)
English to Spanish
Import bilingual Word table into source/target respectively? Jun 4

Hello! I have just had the same issue and I followed your instructions in this thread, but, once I have copied and pasted the content from the Word file to an Excel, configured Trados (2015) to identify it as a bilingual Excel and verified Source and Target columns, the Editor does not seem to recognise it. There is no content shown in the editor.
Any help?
Thanks!

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Priority Jun 4

Noelia Berná wrote:
Hello! I have just had the same issue and I followed your instructions in this thread, but, once I have copied and pasted the content from the Word file to an Excel, configured Trados (2015) to identify it as a bilingual Excel and verified Source and Target columns, the Editor does not seem to recognise it. There is no content shown in the editor.
Any help?

In File --> Options --> File Types is Bilingual Excel positioned above the other Excel file types? If not, click on the File Types heading in Options and on the righthand side select Bilingual Excel and use the buttons at the bottom right to move it up ahead of the other Excel types.

Noelia Berná
Spain
Member (May 2017)
English to Spanish
Import bilingual Word table into source/target respectively? Jun 4

Thanks, Dan,
I sorted, but do you know what it was?? I unclicked the other Excel files, and also positioned the bilingual Excel above the other, but still did not work. In fact, the file was identified as bilingual excel but somehow could not read the content. On configuration, I had the "Exclude the first cell" checked... he, he, he, I love Trados...

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import bilingual Word table into source/target respectively?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search