Corrupted Tags in TM
Thread poster: Alaina Brantner
Alaina Brantner
United States
Local time: 13:38
Spanish to English
Mar 21, 2016

Hello all,

I've got an issue that is happening in a number of TMs I've been provided by a client. In these TMs, coding that should read as tags is not reading as tags but showing up as the full coding text string.

i.e. This water heater...
Ce chauffe-eau...

I've checked out these TMs in both Trados and memoQ and in both tools the tags are not reading correctly. I've explored a number of options for removing these corrupted tags from the TMs, including download of the Oliphant tool. I believe I have a workable solution for removing this corrupted coding text from the TMs, but once I fix the TMs, I would like to know how to prevent this from happening in the future, so I do not have to keep removing new garbage from TMs.

I was able to gather some pieces for a specific project with a problematic TM, including the TMX version of the TM, which contains the corrupted tags; the bilingual file from which the TM was supposedly created in which tags display correctly; and a sdltm vresion of the TM in which tags display correctly. From what it sounds like, the client is usually provided the bilingual file deliverable and the native target file for each job, and the bilingual file is updated to the master TM upon project close.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is this a problem that comes from using different versions of Trados, like upgrading TMs from 2007 to 2015 format? Or from 2014 to 2015 format?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:38
English to Russian
You can do it using mQ Mar 22, 2016

However the topic is Trados support...
You can open tmx for translation and use Regex Tagger to convert strings into tags.

[Edited at 2016-03-22 19:11 GMT]

Alaina Brantner
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have memoQ Mar 22, 2016

That's an awesome tip -- I'll try it out!

Thank you!!

Alaina Brantner
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
After running regex tagger, how to export to TM and retain tagging? Mar 23, 2016

I was able to run the Regex tagger on the TMX file in memoQ, and it works great, converting all that coding to tags. However, when I try to export the TMX file, the tags revert back to expanded coding. I've tried exporting to all the file formats in memoQ with the same result, and even when adding the tagged TMX to a memoQ TM, the coding ends up expanding out into full text format, rather than being read as tags.

I really need this coding to read as tags in the TM file. Is there any next solution?

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Russian Federation
English to Russian
Another tmx Mar 23, 2016

Now, when your tmx works as a file for translation, try to create a dedicated empty TM and confirm all to that TM. Not sure, but you can try...
Update: Also you can remove all such self-made tags from target by filtering segments with such tags, then selecting all (as filtered) and then press Ctrl+F8 (all after Regex Tagging). Then confirm all to the said dedicated TM. In this case, even if you still have strings in source, TM will suggest tag-free variants.

[Edited at 2016-03-23 15:37 GMT]

Alaina Brantner
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried confirming tagged segments to TM, but they still come out with extended coding. Mar 23, 2016

When confirming the segments to an empty TM, the coding still comes out as extended text.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions! With the regex tagger, I can much more easily isolate the tags for removal.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
Yeah, I just forgot about this feature when suggested it Mar 23, 2016

It is by design. When you have portions of text (highlighted or bracketed for example) that you don't need translated, you can use tagger to convert such portions in tags. Thus it keeps such fragments intact during translation. And then, when you export back to original format, it reverts such tags back to their plain text form.
I forgot about it... Maybe someone else will find a way.
Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted Tags in TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search