Error message "failed to save target content: Extra tag within the segment"
Thread poster: Cécile Kellermayr

Cécile Kellermayr  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:38
French to German
+ ...
Mar 23, 2016

Hi, can anyone help me? I received source files from a client, Studio package and the source files in Word format, as well. I worked with the Studio package, but 2 of the 4 files cannot be saved as target only.

The error message goes "failed to save target content: Extra bookmark start blablabla, bookmark start blablabla tag within the segment".
This error message refers to the last translatable segment, wich only contains the web address of the company (www.xxx.com). There are no tags or anything in the source, neither....

When I try to save the second problematic file, I get the error message "The w:root start tag on line 1 position 2 does not match the end tag of w:p. line 3165."
Strangely, this is the first segment with the file name, so there is no way to fix anything...

What I tried afterwards was to create a new project with the 2 Word source files, but I can't even open them. I get an error message that the file is corrupt.

On the other hand, apparently, the client managed to create a Studio package from these files which I could work on without problems (apart from saving target files).

So I am not sure now if the client sent corrupt files or if there is something wrong with my Studio. It would be interesting to know also because as I spent a couple of hours already to try to fix this and I have to assess whether it's my responsibility or not or if there is any chance for me to solve the problem.
I use 2015 and have installed the SR a few days ago.

Thanks for any hints!

Cécile

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 10:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Austria
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any Trados staff reading these posts? Mar 23, 2016

Does someone of the Trados staff reading these postings help?

This is rather urgent. Thanks in advance!

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 14:14 GMT]

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:38
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Error message "failed to save target content: Extra tag within the segment" Mar 23, 2016

Hi Cecile,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

The following solution should help you-

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/5164.html

Please note that for technical issues, you should ask in our own SDL community forum

http://xl8.one

This is our very own community staffed by both SDL and industry professionals and is the place to go if you do not have a support contract.

Please let me know if the above solution solved the problem.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Austria
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 23, 2016

Thanks, Steve, this solved the problem with the second file.

However, I am still waiting for hints concerning the other problem...

I have posted it in the other forum now, as well.

Maybe someone can help me with the tag/bookmark issue?

Austria
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target can be saved, but not opened. Mar 23, 2016

Actually, when I delete the problematic line in the Word source file, I can now save the target file after translating it with STudio, but I can't open it in Word. It tells me that the content causes problems....

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 17:16 GMT]

Mike Roebuck  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Recreate the translation Mar 23, 2016

Cécile Kellermayr wrote:

Hi, can anyone help me? I received source files from a client, Studio package and the source files in Word format, as well. I worked with the Studio package, but 2 of the 4 files cannot be saved as target only.

When I try to save the second problematic file, I get the error message "The w:root start tag on line 1 position 2 does not match the end tag of w:p. line 3165."
Strangely, this is the first segment with the file name, so there is no way to fix anything...

Thanks for any hints!

Cécile

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 10:43 GMT]

I had exactly this problem after translating a file last night. The file had a single visible tag, at the very beginning, and when I tried to save the target file, I got a message saying that this tag didn't match the (invisible) end tag, 10 lines further down.

I'm also using Studio 2015 SR2.

To solve it, I re-opened the source file in Trados (not the SDLXLIFF) and let the TM do the translation for me. Then I was able to save the target file - and open it with Word 2016.

It wasn't the first time I'd had to do this, either.

Austria
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mike... Mar 23, 2016

I tried this, too, but it didn't work...
But I found out now that in both cases, the table of contents was the reason, even if Studio indicated other problems (extra tags...). So removing it from the source and pasting it into the target file after having the file translated again did the trick.

If only I had known this earlier... It would have saved me much time and spared me the rudeness of an unhelpful PM with nervous breakdown
So actually, the source file was the problem, together with Studio's "incompetence"...

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 20:46 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-23 20:47 GMT]

Mike Roebuck  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, Cécile Mar 24, 2016

My file didn't have a table of contents, so it must have been another glitch.

Thanks for your tip though, I'll bear that in mind for the next time it happens.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message "failed to save target content: Extra tag within the segment"

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search