Igor Timko PhD MCIL
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2016

Dear all,

I have a Word table where the left and right columns contain source text and target text, respectively.
I was wondering: is there a way to convert such a table into an SDLXLIFF?

Thank you in advance,
Igor Timko.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPLR TRADUZIO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:20
English to French
+ ...
An idea... Mar 24, 2016

May be you could use "Align" ?
Align allows to create a TM, but once the TM is created you could use it to translate the left column into Trados and therefore obtain an XLIFF.

Best

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Align ... Mar 24, 2016

Yes, alignment to create a TM is the way I also would go in such an instance as this.

I cannot see that there are any other way to tell Studio what is source and what is target.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Same question last week Mar 25, 2016

It's quite easy if you copy the table into Excel first and then open the Excel in Studio as a bilingual Excel file.

There was a thread with the same question last week:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299677-import_bilingual_word_table_into_source_target_respectively.html

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Interesting Mar 25, 2016

I've never tried to import Excel files as bilingual files - didn't even consider that possibility. Take it that Studio then asks what source and target is at import time.

Roy

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
bilingual Mar 25, 2016

Importing the file as a bilingual file (tabbed txt or xls, or converting it into a tmx using any one of a variety of methods, often discussed in the forum) is far better than splitting it into source and target and then aligning those. The alignment will introduce errors that you will have to waste time to correct. So, just go through excel.

Igor Timko PhD MCIL
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not available in Studio 2014? Mar 28, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

It's quite easy if you copy the table into Excel first and then open the Excel in Studio as a bilingual Excel file.

There was a thread with the same question last week:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299677-import_bilingual_word_table_into_source_target_respectively.html

Emma,

Thank you very much for this piece of advice.
But, unfortunately, I use Studio 2014, and the bilingual excel file type does not seem to be available there. So, here we've got one reason to upgrade to Studio 2015, perhaps

Kind regards,
Igor.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Solution for Studio 2014 Mar 28, 2016

Igor Timko PhD MCIL wrote:

unfortunately, I use Studio 2014, and the bilingual excel file type does not seem to be available there.

In that case, save the Excel file as a tab delimited text file and go from there. Read how to do it here:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/14/declaration-of-helsinki/

(Just the 4 steps, not the whole post!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a Word table into an SDLXLIFF

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search