How to hide the match percentage of exact and fuzzy matches in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:33
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 28, 2016

Hi experts,

A translator invests hundreds of dollars to purchase the expensive Trados Studio and then devotes hours to learn it. Sometimes, the translation agencies provide TMs which we are required to use while translating those documents. On some occasions, we find that we already have same or similar translation in our own TM and it will be very helpful to save time and energy if we use that TM. We can use multiple TMs in Trados Studio but the problem is the percentage of exact and fuzzy matches is displayed for each and every segment. The translation agency can ascertain that the translator has used his own TM also which has saved his efforts and time and it may even insist on allowing discounts for such exact and fuzzy matches.

We did not face this problem in Trados Workbench and TagEditor. Is there any practical solution for this issue?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:03
English to Russian
Workbench and TagEditor also displayed this information (% between segments) Mar 28, 2016

However, when agencies prepare a job for you, their word count is based on their own TM. They attach a log. This log is a kind of contract between you and your agency that is created before you accept the job.
Agencies never ask for discounts _after_ the job is done, do they? Why should they insist on additional discount if they have just issued their own word count for you?
You can have even all segments as 100 and 101% matches if you double-run the pretranslate procedure under some circumstances. So what? Does it mean that you are not paid for it? No.
Not a problem.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:03
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sounds like a non issue to me Mar 29, 2016

chopra_2002 wrote:
The translation agency can ascertain that the translator has used his own TM also which has saved his efforts and time and it may even insist on allowing discounts for such exact and fuzzy matches.

I realise there are a lot of agencies that are not that serious - way too low rates etc., so it may be I have just been lucky, since I never accept rates below a certain level. But I have never experienced an agency coming back to me saying that because I used my own TM they wanted an extra discount. So I believe your concern isn't really warranted. I do know from what others have said, though, that some not so serious agencies do a lot of strange things to push the price down. In those instances I do only that one job for them and no more.

But for those agencies I have a good working relationship with, they have never come back to me to renegotiate the price for the job after we have agreed on it, except if they find that the job is of an unacceptable quality. In those instances I will often agree not to charge anything for the job, since it is not to an acceptable standard. But the basis has never been what TM I have been using, but rather the quality of the job in thos instances.

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:33
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All agencies are not professional and honest Mar 29, 2016

I am thankful to both of you for expressing your thoughts. I would like to point out that all agencies are not professional. One of the agencies expected a discount from me after watching the translated file because almost 20% translation contained exact matches from my TM.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Agreed Mar 29, 2016

In instances like that one I would drop them and not do any work for them.

Usually I manage to stay away from such nonserious agencies by looking at the rates they offer (usually way too low for my pocket) and the contract / NDA they offer. I also check the blueboard here at ProZ. All of which has probably saved me a lot of trouble in that regard.

Regretably if an agency is not that serious, there isn't much one can do. I think, though, using your own TM to speed up your translation work is the least of your troubles. I would think that agencies who agree to a price, then come back to you after you have delivered the job with a complaint that sorry, your work is of substandard quality, so we have to deduct 20% (or whatever) are a bigger problem.

If you are concerned, what I would suggest you do, is do the same as I do: Do the translation work in Dejavu (or another CAT tool) while checking the TMs in Studio. Then I would reset the status of each segment before exporting the translation and opening it in Studio. Then I would go through each segment in Studio (a good idea anyway, as it helps me view the translation with new eyes, so that I easier discover mistakes and errors in the translation).

That way the agency cannot see that you have used your own TM. I think other ways for the agency to con me would be of greater concern to me, anyway.

Roy

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Penalize your TM Mar 29, 2016

Ethical issues aside, isn't it possible to temporarily designate a "penalty" for your TM so that any matches are visible in translation results but registered as below the new word threshold (e.g.

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
@Rudolf Mar 29, 2016

Penalizing was my first thought, too, but wouldn't the translations from Chopra's own TM appear way too low in the list of suggested translations even when they are actually the best choice? Depending on the size of the TMs, this might mean a lot of scrolling and human seeking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to hide the match percentage of exact and fuzzy matches in Trados Studio?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search