Studio 2015 error message: The document cannot be processed since it contains unexpected contants.
Thread poster: Mike Roebuck

Mike Roebuck  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
German to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2016

The document I'm trying to translate is a Word 2016 table. What's annoying me is that much of the content is already in my TM and as it's part of a larger assignment, translating it directly risks inconsistencies in terminology.

Any ideas, anyone?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:11
French to German
+ ...
Which filetype did you use? Mar 31, 2016

Mike

Which filetype did you use? The "Microsoft Word 2007-2013" one or the new "Microsoft Word 2007-2016" one? The new one should be more forgiving than the previous one. If you already used the new one, try the other one to see if this solves the problem.
You can select the filetype to be used by either unchecking the one you don't want to use or change the sequence in the list of file types in "Options - File Types" (or in your project settings if you work with a project). Remember that you need to reopen the document after having made this change.

You can see in the Editor which filetype has ben used for conversion by switching the tag display option to "Tag ID". This will display the name of the file type in the orange start tag of the document, "WordProcessing ML v2" standing for the new Word 2016 filetype.

Walter

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck Mar 31, 2016

Walter

Thanks for the tip. I checked the docx file properties and it's set to open with Word 2016, which is what I'm using.

I tried your suggestion, but to no avail. I still can't open the file in Trados and am still getting the same error message. Unfortunately, this means I can't try the second of your suggestions, either.

Mike

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:11
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is switching back to .doc (2003) or .rtf not an option? Apr 1, 2016

Did you try to save in .doc or .rtf? To be sure that you do not loose any information, you might resave the original in 2016 and then compare the resulting file with your client file prior to translating the "downgraded" .doc or .rtf.

Mike Roebuck wrote:

Walter

Thanks for the tip. I checked the docx file properties and it's set to open with Word 2016, which is what I'm using.

I tried your suggestion, but to no avail. I still can't open the file in Trados and am still getting the same error message. Unfortunately, this means I can't try the second of your suggestions, either.

Mike

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finished now Apr 1, 2016

Thanks, Luca.

In the end I just overwrote the original German file with English, as I didn't have time to play around with it, due to the deadline.

If it happens again, and IF I have time, I'll try out your suggestions.

Another 1300 words to translate and then I can start my weekend.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 error message: The document cannot be processed since it contains unexpected contants.

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search