Can Studio 2015 handle php files without problems?
Thread poster: LuxTranslations

LuxTranslations  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 14:25
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Apr 4, 2016

Hi everyone,

I received a job offer with many ".php"-files in different directories. Can I create a project in Studio like I'd do it with Word files or am I to do anything special for this?

Thanks,
Caroline

[Modifié le 2016-04-04 13:06 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:25
Member (2008)
French to English
PHP is a web language Apr 4, 2016

PHP files are executable server-side programs for rendering a webpage. They cannot be translated without a full knowledge of coding in the PHP language, otherwise the files and website will most likely not work afterwards.

I would suggest that you ask the client for the website texts that have to be translated, preferably in Word format. Then make clear it's the responsiblity of the webmaster or web developer to insert the translated texts in the right place.

Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 15:25
English to Russian
Translating PHP files Apr 4, 2016

Hello,

John is right about PHP being a programming language that executes on the server. However, many PHP websites contain simple HTML code with PHP instructions embedded among the HTML, e.g.:

<html>
<head>
<title>Page title</title>
<body>
<?php
... PHP code goes here
?>
<h2>Title 2</h2>
</body>
</html>

In the above example, there is no need to parse the PHP code for strings in order to translate HTML strings like "Page title" or "Title 2".

I know memoQ can translate such PHP files, but I don't know whether Studio can.

Best regards,
Stanislav

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Studio 2015 handle php files without problems?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search