Help with error: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 40
Thread poster: alainabran

alainabran
Local time: 01:43
Spanish to English
Apr 5, 2016

Hello all,

I am running into an error when trying to import a TMX TM exported from memoQ to a Trados TM. I am unable to open the TMX TM exported from memoQ in Trados. When I try to open it, I am getting an error that says:

The translation memory ________, could not be loaded: 'Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 40.'

When I open the TMX TM using Notepad and find line 1, position 40, what I'm seeing there is a vertical rectangle shaped character between the and . I can remove that character, and then try to open the TMX TM in Trados again, but the rectangles are throughout the file between the source and target, so when I try to open the TM again in Trados, it just flags the next occurrence of that issue.

Has anyone seen this before? My understanding is that memoQ is supposed to be almost fully compatible with Trados, so I'm not understanding why I'm getting this error when trying to open a TMX from memoQ. Is there a setting for memoQ TMs that I should have selected to avoid these rectangles being populated into a file, and are these even the cause of this error?

Any help is much appreciated -- thank you!!

pommetteverte
Canada
Local time: 04:43
Encoding Apr 5, 2016

Helloicon_smile.gif
Have you verified that encoding is UTF8, rather than Unicode or UTF16 ?

alainabran
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
how do you verify that coding is UTF8? Apr 5, 2016

Thanks for the response pommetteverte!

How would one verify that?

pommetteverte
Canada
Where to find encoding type Apr 6, 2016

The easiest way to verify/modify the encoding is from the Notepad.
Open your TMX in Notepad, Save as, and you should see a little scroll down menu indicating the encoding type (ANSI, UTF, Unicode, etc.), underneath file type.
Hope this works!

alainabran
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried saving as UTF8, but now Trados doesn't read the TM when I try to open it Apr 6, 2016

Thanks for the advice!

I just tried opening the TM in notepad as you suggest and saving in the UTF8 format. I was able to do that, but then when I try to open the TM in Trados, after I select that I want to open the TMX file type in Trados, this newly saved UTF8 TMX does not even read as an option to be opened.

Can I force the open somehow?

Thank you!

pommetteverte
Canada
Which Trados? Apr 6, 2016

Which Trados are you using ? If it is Studio, then your memory may be corrupted. If it is an older version (Trados 2007 or SDLX) then it is more tricky.
Can you re-export your TM and ask that export be done in UTF8 ?

alainabran
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
memoQ 6.0.67 to Trados 2015 Apr 6, 2016

The TM is being exported from memoQ 6.0.67 for import into the master TM using Trados 2015 (it's complicated, per the usual lol)

Maybe there's a setting in memoQ that I need to change...

Thanks for all the trouble shooting help!

pommetteverte
Canada
Sorry Apr 6, 2016

Pleasure to help, sorry I could not resolve the issueicon_frown.gif

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Alaina: Apr 6, 2016

If you want you can just send the TMX to me and I will have a look at it. I have Studio 2015 (and memoQ 2015), and so can try it myself and see what is going on.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with error: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 40

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search