Thread poster: Austra Muizniece

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:10
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2005

I apologize if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find an exact answer in the forums.

I just finished a large project - we originally agreed upon 30 000 words and I didn't bother to check at first since I only recently started working with Trados (6 LSP) and wasn't yet aware of the wordcount feature. There are 2 word files, over 100 htm files and 2 files with extensions hhk and hhc. I've mostly used TagEditor for this job.
Today I finally finished it and did the wordcount for invoicing. I am absolutely confused - Workbench gives me around 31 000 words while Word - over 40 000. The text in htm also has quite a few text boxes - could the reason of the huge difference be the fact that Trados didn't count the words in them? I can't understand how the difference can be so large. The difference of 10 000 words is huge so I would really appreciate some advice about the possible cause of this problem. Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Any numbers? Mar 3, 2005

Hi, Austra!

For starters cross out any numbers you might have had in the original. Trados does not count numbers. I agree it does not make up for all the missing 10 000 words, but it is a start.
I had a similar problem not so long ago. The agency's total Trados word count was 1000 less than mine done on a word file (total was less than 10 000). The agency insisted that is the way they count the words. I am still not convinced.
Hope somebody can explain the rest of the missing 9000 words.

Veiksmi!
Burrell

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The important thing is to agree beforehand Mar 3, 2005

Each different tool will give you a different word count: Word, Trados, and any of the third-party word-counting tools.

The important thing is to agree with the customer on the actual word count beforehand.

Since Trados is more or less the industry standard CAT tool, Trados' word count is what most agencies are going to use.

As regards your problem in particular: if you think that the culprit may be the text contained in text boxes, try this experiment:

On a copy of some of your files, remove one or more of the text boxes, then run the analysis again. If you see that the word count does not decrease, it means that trados is not counting the words in the text boxes, and you have a way of showing to your customer that these words were not, in fact, counted.

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 18:10
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
html wordcount in Word ??? Mar 3, 2005

Hello,

it think that there is no really objective way to count the words of a html file in Word.

There are a lot of words in html file which Word doesn't count.

On the other hand, you have trnalted this files with Trados. Why do you have a problem to use the Trados wordcount. Of Course, Trados didn't count all items in the same way like word, but p.ex. you have no work with numbers which Trados had not count.

With kind regards
Hans

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes, this is one feature why the agencies like Trados Mar 4, 2005

Trados delivers much less words or text-charactes, and most of us are not aware of it. We had a heated debate over this issue last week:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29509

But Word does not count textboxes either. You need a wordcount macro in Word to count really all the text.
Next time remember to analyse the files beforehand!
Hope your client agrees to pay for all.
Regards
Heinrich

EuroT-IT  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados does count textboxes but Word probably also counts all htm formatting codes!! Mar 4, 2005

Dear all,

in my experience usually Trados counts more than Word when analysing .doc or .rtf files.

In this case however I think the problem is that you cannot count htm files with Word and expect an accurate count: Word will count formatting codes, hypetext links etc. This text is treated as a code by Trados and usually is not counted, since you do not need to translate it (it also depends on which settings have been implemented)
As for text boxes, Trados does count them, while Word doesn't, nor does it count headers!

As Riccardo says, the important thing is to agree beforehand!

Regards,
karina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor & MS Word wordcount problem

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search