Hans Geluk  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:17
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 22, 2016

Hello,

I translate similar content for one client into both Spanish and Catalan, and I always use AnyTM to ensure consistency between the two languages.

However, that causes a huge problem:

Imagine, I have to translate T-shirt into Catalan. This is both in my Catalan TM (Samarreta) and in my Spanish TM (Camiseta).

But since I am using both TMs (with AnyTM), it will RANDOMLY PICK THE CATALAN OR SPANISH TRANSLATION. So, I all the time have to go back and pick the other language. This seriously delays my translation process.

The solution is simple and the infrastructure already exists: add a penalty for 'Different language pair (AnyTM)'.

Do other translators experience the same problem?

Thanks and regards,
Hans

[Edited at 2016-04-22 11:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More problems due to this... Apr 25, 2016

The absence of the penalty for different languages also results in 100% matches for a translation from another language. This can inadvertently result in segments being translated into the wrong language!

Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion not picked up in Studio 2017 Mar 13

As far as I can see, my brand new Studio 2017 did NOT come with the possibility of adding a penalty for language differences when using AnyTM. I must say I'm slightly disappointed (I had high hopes for this feature) and I hope it's possible to configure AnyTM in another way so the matches in the right language are prioritised.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM penalties for different languages using AnyTM

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search