Dropdown forms not processed
Thread poster: Louis_PM

Louis_PM
Canada
Local time: 03:12
English to French
+ ...
Apr 23, 2016

I fully translated a 4000-word DOCX file which includes dropdown lists, and now I can't export it back into its original DOCX format.

Here are the two errors messages displayed when I try exporting from Studio::

1)
Unable to cast object of type
'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.FileFormat.Datacontainers.Specialized.ForControls' to type
'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.FileFormat.Datacontainers.Specialized.Paragraph'.

Origin : Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.Frameworklmpl.Generator.FileWriter

2)

Unable to cast object of type
'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.FileFormat.Datacontainers.Specialized.ForControls' to type
'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.FileFormat.Datacontainers.Specialized.Paragraph'.

Origin:
Export files

What I understand from that: Trados cannot handle dropdown lists (forms) because its DOCX "FileType" (the parser) is not configured to handle those lists.

Does anyone feel like a genius here?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:12
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
List items Apr 23, 2016

You don't mention which version of Studio you're using or which .docx file type, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark.

Re. dropdown lists. To translate items in dropdown lists, go to the docx file type you're using, > Common > Content controls and enable the option "List item values".
You'll need to do this before you process the file in Studio.

Re. error messages. I'm not sure how to solve this. I recommend saving the target file as soon as you open the sdlxliff for translating in Studio to see if it will save. That way you know whether you have a problem file, or whether you have done something to cause the error while translating.

[Edited at 2016-04-23 12:16 GMT]

Louis_PM
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software used Apr 24, 2016

Hi Emma,

I use Word 2010 and Trados Studio 2015.

I'll try to enable what the option about which you told me, thanks a bunch, I'll be crossing my fingers!

Louis_PM
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forms imported, but impossible to output Apr 25, 2016

Hello,

last night I managed to import all of the content into Trados Studio 2015. However, I still cannot output it back to the source Word Format. I believe this is due to the fact that Word 2010's Combo Box Dropdown List (or whatever it is called in English, I use Word's French version) cannot be edited directly from the page. Instead, the user who wants to edit it needs to select the field to be edited, right-click, then go to Properties. The dialog that appears then allows the user to rename every option from the list, as well as to rename the tag for the field itself.

In short, I believe Trados simply cannot process this kind of content due to Word 2010's mechanics. The only solution I can see would be to change every field manually. Or better yet, to create a style sheet with appropriately translated fields, and re-enter them one by one. This is tedious, but I really don't see any other workaround. Of course, this also means deleting all those dropdown lists before importing them into Trados.

Does anyone have a better idea? Mine does not sound very appealing...

Louis_PM
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up Apr 26, 2016

Hi all,

just writing a short follow-up for people who might experience the same problem I had.

Long story short: the fault indeed lies with Microsoft Word. Its combo box options are read-only, and cannot be modified directly in the page. Instead, yes, you have to right-click every combo box, and change its variables one by one.

Here's what I did: after realizing how much work this would mean, I asked my client whether he would like me to handle it, or if he would prefer to take care of it on his own. I told him I would charge per hour. I also took the time to tell my client - oh so nicely - that those combo boxes lists would mean trouble again in the future, and that it would be better not to use this function if a document was meant to be translated. Instead, using Excel would work really well, since Excel's variables for tables are stored as text in regular cells. Thus, even it the combo boxes are uneditable on their own, the data to which they refer is actually easily editable.

Just my two cents, and have a nice day!

P.S. By the way, the easiest method to remove all lists is to convert a document to .doc (the format prior to Word 2007). Careful though, as it can also deactivate other functions included in the document you process.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dropdown forms not processed

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search